News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2024, 03:04:51 PMMaybe people are on summer holidays.

Will liven up once the antisemites crash the Chicago convention and ruin Harris' momentum.
It is interesting - all the momentum is with her. But a little alarmed at some of the US reporters pointing out that in the polling she's behind Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020 at this stage of the campaign. It's really striking to see the impact momentum (and enthusiasm) has on the narrative of the race.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Mike Lynch missing following a yacht sinking in Sicily.

His co-defendant was fatally hit by a car while jogging at the weekend...:ph34r: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2024, 03:29:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2024, 03:04:51 PMMaybe people are on summer holidays.

Will liven up once the antisemites crash the Chicago convention and ruin Harris' momentum.
It is interesting - all the momentum is with her. But a little alarmed at some of the US reporters pointing out that in the polling she's behind Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020 at this stage of the campaign. It's really striking to see the impact momentum (and enthusiasm) has on the narrative of the race.

Well if you are going up or going down matters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on August 19, 2024, 02:39:40 PMSeems much quieter than even recent times  of late

Yeah, didn't feel like posting much myself. I try to stay away from the "hot" topics, and other threads seem to be about one thing or other sucks. Everyone needs to vent and rant, but trying to stay away from that myself at the moment. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2024, 05:43:54 PMMike Lynch missing following a yacht sinking in Sicily.

His co-defendant was fatally hit by a car while jogging at the weekend...:ph34r: :hmm:

Any Russian enemies?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2024, 12:13:37 PMWho is Mike Lynch?

From the articles I've seen a tech guy that defraud HP on a company sale.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Founder ARM (once often called "Britain's Bill Gates") who was recently acquitted of 15 counts of fraud in the US in a huge trial arising from Hewlett-Packard's purchase of his company for many billions.

His co-defendant, Stephen Chamberlain, used to work for Lynch and was also acquitted. Lynch went on to found Darktrace (now a big cybersecurity company) with Chamberlain.

Just very weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I caught myself the other day thinking isn't it weird that well connected gazillionaires always seem to be the ones getting in mysterious yacht accidents....

But then I thought well yeah. Who else has a yacht.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Seems weird that you would be prosecuted for selling a bullshit company to someone else.  Usually you become a regular on Shark Tank by doing that.

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2024, 07:30:09 PMSeems weird that you would be prosecuted for selling a bullshit company to someone else.  Usually you become a regular on Shark Tank by doing that.

There's a fine line between creative accounting and fraud :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 02:04:32 PMI caught myself the other day thinking isn't it weird that well connected gazillionaires always seem to be the ones getting in mysterious yacht accidents....

That's not what's odd. It's that on the same day one co-defendant is out jogging and fatally hit by a car and the other is on a yacht that sinks in an accident. Just very weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2024, 05:06:11 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 02:04:32 PMI caught myself the other day thinking isn't it weird that well connected gazillionaires always seem to be the ones getting in mysterious yacht accidents....

That's not what's odd. It's that on the same day one co-defendant is out jogging and fatally hit by a car and the other is on a yacht that sinks in an accident. Just very weird.

A tornado on the sea is hardly an accident :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2024, 09:16:30 AMA tornado on the sea is hardly an accident :D
Well it's not deliberate :P Honestly my initial thought on Mike Lynch going missing on a yacht was that it was a Robert Maxwell (Ghislaine's dad) situation - but probably with less espionage/Mossad :lol:

It's the coincidence of both defendants dying on the same day in accidents.

But apparently Italian prosecutors are looking at how and why the yacht sank so quickly:
QuoteInvestigators are trying to determine why most of the crew survived while six guests and the chef died.

Nicola Romana, an expert in transport and tourism law at the Department of Economic Sciences at the University of Palermo, told La Repubblica: "In maritime accidents, there is almost always a human error at the root of it. In this case, a catastrophic event has also played a role. The crew of a ship of that size must be prepared for anything."

Bruni said: "The captains and crew of a vessel like the Bayesian are not chosen at random. We are talking about the best professionals in the world. If there's a storm, the captain must first call the crew to try to right the vessel and take all necessary measures to avoid a shipwreck.

"The sudden storm or mini tornado would have caught them off guard while they were attempting to do what was necessary to ensure the safety of the passengers.

"Unfortunately, they didn't make it in time. But these are all speculations for now. We'll have to wait for the end of investigations to understand the causes of the incident."

"I am incredulous about what happened to a yacht like this," he added. "If they had asked me that night, in a stormy day, in which sailboat in the world I would have wanted to be, I would have chosen the Bayesian."

Also struck by the captain who tried to help:
QuoteKarsten Borner, 69, the captain of a nearby sailboat that was the first to assist it on Monday, said: "I have never seen a vessel of this size go down so quickly. Within a few minutes, there was nothing left."
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I can't imagine a ship is structurally built to take on a tornado :D . As for the crew surviving, they know the boat, they know the exits and the location of the safety devices. If it went down quick then it makes sense that they'd make it while disoriented guests did not.

*edit* especially since it happened while anchored at night