News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2024, 12:03:10 PMOlder than Pong?

Well he said the oldest playable BOARD game, grumbler.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

That's cool. And that guy is very enthusiastic too, I love it :cheers:

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2024, 12:05:56 PM

Well he said the oldest playable BOARD game, grumbler.

Back in my day, we played pong on a board, because our parents wanted to use the TV for watching the Andy Griffith Show.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on June 11, 2024, 12:12:44 PM

Who is that, Grogs brother?

Pong was Nebuchadnezzar's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2024, 12:17:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 11, 2024, 12:12:44 PM

Who is that, Grogs brother?

Pong was Nebuchadnezzar's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

So close personal friend of yours?

:P sorry, it was right there
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Interesting read on the shrimp Jesus etc stuff going on on Facebook now:
https://www.404media.co/email/24eb6cea-6fa6-4b98-a2d2-8c4ba33d6c04/
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2024, 12:06:41 PMThat's cool. And that guy is very enthusiastic too, I love it :cheers:

If you get a chance, watch some of his lectures.  He is fantastic.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on June 11, 2024, 12:20:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2024, 12:17:50 PMPong was Nebuchadnezzar's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

So close personal friend of yours?

:P sorry, it was right there

I was the other roommate.

(No need to be sorry. "Grumbler is old" jokes are a staple here and the age basis behind them is correct.  I've never pretended to be a spring chicken and enjoy the cracks when they are well-crafted.)

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2024, 01:06:12 PMInteresting read on the shrimp Jesus etc stuff going on on Facebook now:

But it doesn't tell me why humans would like and pass on shrimp Jesus in the first place.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2024, 01:06:12 PMInteresting read on the shrimp Jesus etc stuff going on on Facebook now:

Fascinating read.

It'll be interesting to see whether this sort of AI talking to AI ecosystem becomes a drag on Facebook or not, and whether and to what degree it leaks out into the larger world.

I'd also be very interested to understand what FB is doing here. Is this a deliberate attempt to achieve some end with AI, is it deliberate metrics gaming by FB in some way, or is it an infection they can't find a good way to cure without hurting themselves? What's their view?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2024, 05:51:33 PMI'd also be very interested to understand what FB is doing here. Is this a deliberate attempt to achieve some end with AI, is it deliberate metrics gaming by FB in some way, or is it an infection they can't find a good way to cure without hurting themselves? What's their view?
Who knows?

I mean that literally there's been a few court filings in cases in California which basically make it sound like Facebook aren't entirely sure how Facebook works in some ways. I've certainly no idea.

One possible guess is this isn't deliberate but that (in the West) Facebook is becoming a bit like MySpace but for an older generation - and Facebook's on-platform advertising and monetisation model is actually like an unsophisticated media company where it's all about pageviews and clicks. So I wonder if there's a reinforcing cycle of less and less human content, but algorithms designed to drive pageviews and clicks are driving and creating incentives for weird AI farms.

Obviously Facebook is still very much an active social network in the rest of the world. Insta is the only platform I know of where people really really like the advertising (because the entire platform is lifestyle - one of the other challenges for news media :(). And WhatsApp - (500 million users in India alone) - is a messaging platform but also one that allows businesses to use it.

So there's lots of bits where they have a business that makes sense with a core (human) audience and I don't think any of them are generating weird AI content for AI accounts.

But it may not be that.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Bayraktar!