News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2024, 03:30:40 PMWhich stereotypes are not true?

I don't know how well Jews tip these days.

I mean the most racist and hurtful stereotypes are much less likely to be true, as opposed to a good faith observation of the human condition.

So: Italians talk with their hands a lot - I mean I think they do?  versus

Italians are all mobsters - getouddahere...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Any stereotype that starts with "all" is untrue, whether it's hurtful or not.

I once met a black guy who couldn't dance.

Barrister

Even more than that - I think stereotypes get you into trouble where you automatically assume them to be true, as opposed to just an additional bit of information.

"Hey you're asian - come help me with my math homework" is offensive.

"Hey you're asian - does that mean you like k-pop"?  is not.

Valmy

:lol: Didn't mean to start a dogpile there BB
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

How dare you assume all asians are korean! :ultra:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2024, 03:59:06 PMHow dare you assume all asians are korean! :ultra:

My vast knowledge of asian culture means I know k-pop is popular outside of Korea itself... :unsure:

HVC

So you're just diminishing the cultural importance of j-pop and c-pop then?  :mad:

This is fun. I can see while people like to do it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2024, 03:57:02 PM:lol: Didn't mean to start a dogpile there BB

I'm not ashamed. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2024, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2024, 03:57:02 PM:lol: Didn't mean to start a dogpile there BB

I'm not ashamed. ^_^

You know - I thought about using "blacks" as an example of stereotypes both positive, neutral, and of course horribly racist and negative - and decided not to. -_-

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2024, 04:21:55 PM

I'm not ashamed. ^_^

You know - I thought about using "blacks" as an example of stereotypes both positive, neutral, and of course horribly racist and negative - and decided not to. -_-

At least there is some semblance of sense in your brain. :cheers:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2024, 03:48:39 PMAny stereotype that starts with "all" is untrue, whether it's hurtful or not.

I once met a black guy who couldn't dance.

How did you come to meet Drake?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

His Jewish side failed him

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2024, 03:59:06 PMHow dare you assume all asians are korean! :ultra:

My vast knowledge of asian culture means I know k-pop is popular outside of Korea itself... :unsure:

The number of students we get that are disappointed they aren't put in a Korean class...specifically because of K-pop...is not small.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2024, 02:26:42 AMSecond Boeing whistleblower this year has died:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/boeing-ceo-senate-testimony-whistleblower-news-b2564778.html

It won't happen...but this is the kind of thing that should send company executives to prison...not just meaningless fines.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 03:10:37 PMLike guys - sometimes there's some truth to stereotypes?

Since we're on the gay topic, my family has been hosting international high school students for several years now.  Let me tell you about our very first student - she was from Spain.  While in Canada she signed up for almost every single sport or sporty activity she could.  I remember she went out for rugby and rowing, amongst some others.

We've kept in touch over the years.  I think this last year she posted on Instagram a picture of herself and another girl - yup she's lesbian, and that was her girlfriend (she confirmed with Mrs B).  I'm not going to say "yeah I totally called it" - but it also didn't surprise me in the least.

Trends and tendencies aren't iron-clad laws by any stretch.  The simplest example is this: on average men are taller than women.  The fact my wife is taller than me though is 100% true, but doesn't negate the overall averages.

Gay men like theatre more than straight men - on average.  Lesbians like sports more than straight women - on average.

I can't believe this is somehow a controversial or edgy observation.

p.s. My nephew is more just a straight theatre guy.  I think he's sung once or twice on stage, but is not really a musical theatre person.  But when I say he's a theatre guy - he now teaches acting and is studying for his PhD in theatre.

BB the vast majority of women who like sports are not lesbians.