News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2024, 11:41:11 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 10:28:01 AMThe signs were just so obvious growing up - his love of theatre, how he always had lots of female friends but never any girlfriends...

:rolleyes:

I'm speaking the truth here!

Obviously not every theatre guy is gay, but it was one of the signs...

(And I mean he really loves theatre, to the point it's his career.  I've been to lots of his plays over the years)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I come from a long line of theatre guys and man I took a lot of shit for it in the 1990s, so it triggered me  :lol:

I was like "no...liking theatre does not mean you are gay, being attracted to other men means you are gay"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 10:28:01 AMThe signs were just so obvious growing up - his love of theatre, how he always had lots of female friends but never any girlfriends...

That is why I asked the question I asked.  :whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Come to think of it, I love the theatre and have many close female friends.  I also don't have a girlfriend.  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 11:53:56 AM

(And I mean he really loves theatre, to the point it's his career.  I've been to lots of his plays over the years)

Nor does every gay love theatre.

What nonsense during pride month. So disrespectful. :moon:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I have to side with garb on this. Theatrics != theatre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2024, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 11:53:56 AM

Nor does every gay love theatre.

What nonsense during pride month. So disrespectful. :moon:

:contract:

I'm talking about a real live person here.  One I've known for (oh gosh) 20 years now.  He's my wife's sisters kid.  I've seen him grow up from I think when he was 12 to now in his early 30s.

I'm just telling you - when he came out absolutely nobody was shocked or surprised - just glad he finally did so.  Actually I think I "knew" before his parents did (though they weren't surprised).  He's not even in fact an effeminate gay man, though hardly a bear either.

And his huge love of theatre was one of, but hardly the only, signs.

But yes - not every gay loves theatre, same as not every theatre guy is gay.  It's a good thing I never claimed either thing.

Jacob

I was in the drama club at high school for a few years.

Being a straight guy in theatre is not a bad scene at all :)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2024, 12:12:09 PMI was in the drama club at high school for a few years.

I definitely don't love theatre as much as my nephew, but it's a good scene.  I did some musical theatre even in grades 7-8.  Heck I convinced a couple of my geeky buddies to join the school choir one year - we were the only boys in there and they were glad for our deeper voices.  Unfortunately I wasn't at a point where I could take advantage of it the way I'm sure Jacob did.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 12:15:55 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 18, 2024, 12:12:09 PMI was in the drama club at high school for a few years.

I definitely don't love theatre as much as my nephew, but it's a good scene.  I did some musical theatre even in grades 7-8.  Heck I convinced a couple of my geeky buddies to join the school choir one year - we were the only boys in there and they were glad for our deeper voices.  Unfortunately I wasn't at a point where I could take advantage of it the way I'm sure Jacob did.

Did you have a lot of female friends and no girlfriend?

The point is Garbon asked you how people knew.  And you answered with a stereotype that is inaccurate.  There must have been other reasons that make it obvious to everyone he was gay and I think that is what Garbon was asking about.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2024, 12:15:55 PMUnfortunately I wasn't at a point where I could take advantage of it the way I'm sure Jacob did.

I didn't take advantage of it in the way that American teen comedies would suggest, but it did help develop my confidence around women. And it was fun too.

Josquius

I dunno on musical theatre.
To say all gay guys love musical theatre is a inaccurate stereotype.
But basically  all musical theatre guys do seem to be gay.
My sister did that at college and all the guys were gay. My cousin does it professionally in the German speaking world and is also gay.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Like guys - sometimes there's some truth to stereotypes?

Since we're on the gay topic, my family has been hosting international high school students for several years now.  Let me tell you about our very first student - she was from Spain.  While in Canada she signed up for almost every single sport or sporty activity she could.  I remember she went out for rugby and rowing, amongst some others.

We've kept in touch over the years.  I think this last year she posted on Instagram a picture of herself and another girl - yup she's lesbian, and that was her girlfriend (she confirmed with Mrs B).  I'm not going to say "yeah I totally called it" - but it also didn't surprise me in the least.

Trends and tendencies aren't iron-clad laws by any stretch.  The simplest example is this: on average men are taller than women.  The fact my wife is taller than me though is 100% true, but doesn't negate the overall averages.

Gay men like theatre more than straight men - on average.  Lesbians like sports more than straight women - on average.

I can't believe this is somehow a controversial or edgy observation.

p.s. My nephew is more just a straight theatre guy.  I think he's sung once or twice on stage, but is not really a musical theatre person.  But when I say he's a theatre guy - he now teaches acting and is studying for his PhD in theatre.

Admiral Yi

Which stereotypes are not true?

I don't know how well Jews tip these days.

HVC

I have asian friends that are bad at math. I mock them (gently) for that fact. Is that racist? It might be racist :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.