News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

At first my thoughts were "Oh look. One of THOSE. A guy demanding 110% for a shit base level job paying minimum wage".
But reading on those were indeed pretty bad. Whinging about no cover letter is dumb- but just a one liner saying hi plz hire me?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on June 10, 2024, 10:41:21 AMAt first my thoughts were "Oh look. One of THOSE. A guy demanding 110% for a shit base level job paying minimum wage".
But reading on those were indeed pretty bad. Whinging about no cover letter is dumb- but just a one liner saying hi plz hire me?

I mean, maybe if you can prepare a better CV than that, you can grab a better job than washing dishes?

Zanza

Beyond having two healthy hands I have no relevant qualifications or experiences, so there is no point in providing my CV. So "please hire me" is all I could say.

grumbler

It is worth noting here that the complainer isn't actually a businessman who would have experience in the type of applicant the jobs attract.  He's just a guy helping his brother (the actual owner) and should be glad he is getting his eyes opened to what the real world sometimes looks like.

A large percentage of those applying may well not have English as their native language nor experience in what it takes to successfully apply for a menial job in the US.

Whiners gonna whine.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on June 10, 2024, 10:41:21 AMAt first my thoughts were "Oh look. One of THOSE. A guy demanding 110% for a shit base level job paying minimum wage".
Yes - although generally in my experience hospitality is one of the sectors where you probably have more of a chance just turning up and dropping off a CV (although my experience is old). Though obviously it depends what the sign says.

Again, could be different in the US or now, but my experience was if someone dropped off a CV you'd take it and let the manager or supervisor know when they were on shift and maybe they'd ask how the person seemed. Again where I worked (in Soho so small area with a lot of bars/restaurants/cafes) if we weren't hiring we might know and let the person know if someone else was.

Emails on the other hand were checked sporadically, resentfully and often just deleted (lots of spam) :lol: :ph34r:

And other big exception is if you're applying to a big chain when it's all probably sorted by HQ.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2024, 12:11:30 PMBeyond having two healthy hands I have no relevant qualifications or experiences, so there is no point in providing my CV. So "please hire me" is all I could say.

You've never washed dishes? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Didn't realise how ancient skiing was - they've found 3,500 year old skis/skates in Xinjiang.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I always wondered how cvs work in those kind of situations where all you've got is your education and no relevant experience.
Perhaps part of why I totally failed to even get minimum wage work to save up money when I finished uni.
When I worked in a supermarket I think I just had an application form. And a lot of nepotism.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2024, 01:53:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 10, 2024, 12:11:30 PMBeyond having two healthy hands I have no relevant qualifications or experiences, so there is no point in providing my CV. So "please hire me" is all I could say.

You've never washed dishes? :o
Not professionally.  :P

Jacob

More of an amateur enthusiast, I suppose.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on June 10, 2024, 01:57:11 PMI always wondered how cvs work in those kind of situations where all you've got is your education and no relevant experience.
Perhaps part of why I totally failed to even get minimum wage work to save up money when I finished uni.
When I worked in a supermarket I think I just had an application form. And a lot of nepotism.

I don't know how to make a CVs based on experience work. One based on education is super easy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2024, 05:30:33 PM
Quote from: Josquius on June 10, 2024, 01:57:11 PMI always wondered how cvs work in those kind of situations where all you've got is your education and no relevant experience.

I don't know how to make a CVs based on experience work. One based on education is super easy.

Look at the job posting and lie and say you have experience doing what they're asking for :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Ah yeah Dr. Finkel and the ancient Sumerian racing game. Very cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!