News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 10, 2024, 01:30:58 PMI like Taylor and I think she is good.

I like her but I have a hard time thinking of any good songs she has released in the last decade. But then I am old and out of touch.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2024, 01:35:25 PMI like her but I have a hard time thinking of any good songs she has released in the last decade. But then I am old and out of touch.
:blink: Bro you serious?  Shake It Off, Style, Look What You Made Me Do, Lover, You Need To Calm Down, Cruel Summer, The Last Great American Dynasty, Lavender Haze, Anti-Hero...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I should add that my wife listens to Taylor Swift nonstop, by far more than any other artist's music, so I hear her stuff all the time.  She used to listen to Lizzo even more than Taylor, but then the whole lawsuit thing with her Big Grrls happened, and my wife won't listen to Lizzo anymore.

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on January 10, 2024, 03:16:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2024, 01:35:25 PMI like her but I have a hard time thinking of any good songs she has released in the last decade. But then I am old and out of touch.
:blink: Bro you serious?  Shake It Off, Style, Look What You Made Me Do, Lover, You Need To Calm Down, Cruel Summer, The Last Great American Dynasty, Lavender Haze, Anti-Hero...
slay girl!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

All the songs on that list I am familiar with are from 2014 so yeah  :lol:

I presume she has continued to release more music, it just hasn't filtered down to me like it used to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2024, 03:22:43 PM
slay girl!
DIVA!

Admiral Yi

Down at the old gay rainbow karaoke joint maybe a third of the requests are for Taylor Swift songs.  Half of them by guys.  And not just obviously gay dudes, but straight bros as well.  I can't tell one song from another.  None has stuck in my head.  I can't hum the chorus to any of them.

She's cute, she seems very nice, nice figure, managed her career brilliantly, but her music is just not for me.

The Brain

She's never interested me personally, but I have no reason to doubt her talent.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 03:42:56 AMAs I said I am not doubting that, just mentioning the shadow writer thing because I am assuming that means you are free to claim credit for what the shadow-writer wrote, meaning what's on the credits isn't a guarantee. But I could be wrong, I have never really cared about this stuff.

I'm thinking that the whole "shadow songwriter" thing is likely an urban legend.  If a writer has the talent to write top-end lyrics or music, they are going to insist on getting songwriting credit because it gets their name out in font of others looking for songwriting talent.  If they are not good enough to demand that credit, what use are they to some songwriter like TS?  Plus, even if they get paid for their contributions, they can always come back later and demand credit, so for it if not given freely, and get the credit that way.

I could, of course, be convinced by credible evidence that such ghost songwriters actually exist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quick google on ghostwriting in the music industry, from the POV of "how to become a ghostwriter": https://imusician.pro/en/resources/blog/ghostwriting-in-music - it mentions a few known artists as using ghostwriters.

Here's a podcast on "the world of ghostwriting and ghost producing": https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/twenty-thousand-hertz-uncovers-the-secretive-world-of-ghostwriting-and-ghost-producing

Josquius

In other news my bathroom scales are developing a sycophantic mind of their own.
Every time I step on them they tell me a weight.
I step off and step back on.... They tell me a new weight that's at least a kilogram less.
Like they thought I wasn't happy with the first and this would please me more.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2024, 06:24:54 PMQuick google on ghostwriting in the music industry, from the POV of "how to become a ghostwriter": https://imusician.pro/en/resources/blog/ghostwriting-in-music - it mentions a few known artists as using ghostwriters.

Here's a podcast on "the world of ghostwriting and ghost producing": https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/twenty-thousand-hertz-uncovers-the-secretive-world-of-ghostwriting-and-ghost-producing
I don't know, seems like writing music through a Ouija board would be cumbersome.  
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2024, 06:24:54 PMQuick google on ghostwriting in the music industry, from the POV of "how to become a ghostwriter": https://imusician.pro/en/resources/blog/ghostwriting-in-music - it mentions a few known artists as using ghostwriters.

Lots of "allegedly" and "reportedly" in that piece, with only one solid bit of evidence (and it was about producing, not writing - two very different things). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2024, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 03:42:56 AMAs I said I am not doubting that, just mentioning the shadow writer thing because I am assuming that means you are free to claim credit for what the shadow-writer wrote, meaning what's on the credits isn't a guarantee. But I could be wrong, I have never really cared about this stuff.

I'm thinking that the whole "shadow songwriter" thing is likely an urban legend.  If a writer has the talent to write top-end lyrics or music, they are going to insist on getting songwriting credit because it gets their name out in font of others looking for songwriting talent.  If they are not good enough to demand that credit, what use are they to some songwriter like TS?  Plus, even if they get paid for their contributions, they can always come back later and demand credit, so for it if not given freely, and get the credit that way.

I could, of course, be convinced by credible evidence that such ghost songwriters actually exist.

Fair, but this assumes that top end pop songs have tunes and lyrics which are top-end difficult to create, which I think is some miles off from being a universal truth.

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2024, 11:06:15 PMAll fair - still think it's weird how a paper of record published a piece speculating about her sexuality. Especially one based on her art. Which contains "signals"/something she is communicating rather than something we are reading/interpreting.

Feels like a fair bit going on there which I find a bit weird. Have a bit of a theory that art kind of swings between content and form. 18th and 20th century big on form, 19th on content and that we're in a bit of a swing to content again and this all seems of a piece with that - almost certainly nonsense though :lol:

Edit: Also again just the weird parasocial thing that the NYT thought this was okay to publish blows my mind :blink:

My first job out of college was with Nextel Wireless.  At the time our chief investor was Craig McCaw (founder of McCaw Cellular, the precursor to AT&T Wireless.)  While I was there Craig and his wife divorced and that was front page news on The Wall Street Journal.  I remember thinking "You know you're a success in business when your divorce is a front page story on The Wall Street Journal."  In a similar manner, you're a success at something if your sexuality is being discussed in the New York Times.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock