News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on January 05, 2022, 11:43:36 AM
The argument about gas tax is the weakest argument I can think of.  Tax policy is not a law of nature imposed upon the government, the government can choose to tax something else.
:unsure:
I don't understand the reply.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2022, 11:49:00 AM
The argument about gas tax is the weakest argument I can think of.  Tax policy is not a law of nature imposed upon the government, the government can choose to tax something else.

Once I have stopped paying fuel tax through my ears the government can start taxing bus and train tickets.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2022, 11:50:56 AM

Once I have stopped paying fuel tax through my ears the government can start taxing bus and train tickets.
Or they can tax car ownership more. The better solution.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2022, 11:55:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2022, 11:50:56 AM

Or they can tax car ownership more. The better solution.

Let's agree that if we are taxing assets, let's start with properties.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2022, 11:59:37 AM
Let's agree that if we are taxing assets, let's start with properties.
:mmm:

But it is a big issue for finance ministries. I know the Treasury and the independent stats body here have flagged there's basicallly going to be about 5% of the tax take disappearing in the next few years as we move to EVs which is going to be interesting to see what they replace that with. I think we have the highest rate in Europe so it may be less of a big deal elsewhere.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2022, 07:38:01 AM
Annual MOT test on my car... There is a completely redundant decorative indicator led light on the outside rear view mirrors. The passenger one hasn't worked in like 3 years IIRC but who cares I have the regular front one working just fine. Testers didn't care either.

Except now they have failed the car over it. And it's a bloody LED unit which is going to cost me a bit north of £100 :ultra: That's, like... 1.5 board games for something completely unnecessary :P

Also I am pissed because the other failure was unbalanced front brakes which I didn't notice. But I know why they are unbalanced: some months ago I asked the next door garage (who do not do MOTs) to check why one of the front ones were squealing despite being new. They did fix the squealing but apparently messed up the alignment in the process. Which now I am waiting for the MOT-ing garage to tell me when they can take a look at it.

So I am looking at a minimum of two days being car-less because that's how long it takes for the new LED to arrive.

One thing Tyr and Sheilbh don't consider in their car-ridden utopia is the enormous economic impact of authorities and car mechanics no longer being able to syphon large amounts of money off car owners. :P

I took my 12 y.o. VW Golf to its annual review earlier this week, and passed it without a single objection.  ^_^

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on January 05, 2022, 01:04:56 PM

I took my 12 y.o. VW Golf to its annual review earlier this week, and passed it without a single objection.  ^_^

My Avensis is 15 years old and has 155,000 miles in it. :P

Grey Fox

We don't have inspections for those kind of cars here :cool: 
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Going in for surgery tomorrow.  Wish me luck.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I guess "break a leg" would be inappropriate. Good luck.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Sheilbh

Not now rare case of avian-to-human transmission of bird flu in the South-West of England! :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1479087294225305602?s=21
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████