The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Reindeer meat is awesome. :mmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on December 15, 2021, 03:58:14 PM
the hunters i know make jerky. With the exception of the back strap, which apparently is less gamey. Never had venison steak, but deer jerky is awesome.

Good observation.  That's popular here as well, and I agree that it's good, but that's not something that the hunters around here give away.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on December 15, 2021, 01:35:57 PM
Problem with venison isn't so much the toughness (though it can be tough) - it's the gaminess.

Which sure can be masked with a heavy marinade, but that just takes time and then all you're tasting is the marinade, not the meat.
Yeah, I don't remember Grandpa Johnny's venison ever being tough, but it has a weird taste I can't describe (I guess 'gamey', but I don't really know what that means) that I don't like.  Like I want to say it had an odd smell and aftertaste that was almost sweet in a way?  I can't really remember.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on December 15, 2021, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 15, 2021, 08:23:02 AM
It is legal to hunt here with a bow...I've been contemplating getting a bow and learning how to clean a deer and then we would have no more meat expenses. But my wife is not on board.

Venison won't replace all your meat needs.  In fact, you have to like venison a lot (and have a huge freezer) to make the cleaning and slaughtering worthwhile (oh, and a strong stomach is also required).  If you have friends who hunt, you can probably get all the venison sausage (the only venison product worth consuming, IMO) you want for free.

It will mean that you will save on dog food expenses for quite a while.

I don't like venison very much, and don't have any friends that hunt and have never been hunting. But there really are deer swarming my backyard and it is kind of crazy to think, "you are a meat source that is entirely free!*"

*except for the $20 hunting license or whatever, plus the bow and arrow, plus whatever legal costs i incur due to shooting neighbors with stray arrows.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Work has said everyone is getting 100 dolla$ to give to a charitable cause.
I can't decide which.
I'm thinking maybe something refugee related. Seems big in the news now and tis the season et al.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2021, 07:19:58 PM
I can't decide which.
I'm thinking maybe something refugee related. Seems big in the news now and tis the season et al.

If you want my advice...

Give it to a homeless shelter.  It's the least sexy charity imaginable, but there's always a huge need.  And since you said "tis the season" I can think of few causes that would be more Christian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2021, 12:31:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2021, 07:19:58 PM
I can't decide which.

If you want my advice...

Give it to a homeless shelter.  It's the least sexy charity imaginable, but there's always a huge need.  And since you said "tis the season" I can think of few causes that would be more Christian.

Good point. There's also a shocking amount of homeless people in the UK, even if it's not something that comes to your mind easily, and I can't imagine COVID having improved things.

celedhring

Homelessness may be the most invisible of the social ailments. The other day I read that there's an estimate of 6,000 homeless people in Catalonia, which is close to 0.1% of the population and thus an incredible figure. Apparently this is a 30% increase from pre-pandemic times. We should be talking way more about this.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on December 15, 2021, 03:58:14 PM
the hunters i know make jerky. With the exception of the back strap, which apparently is less gamey. Never had venison steak, but deer jerky is awesome.

A very popular option over here, and commercially viable, is making several charcouterie products with the animals. There's this village in the mountains in which we always stop on the way to my mom's hometown where they always sell stuff from deer and boar mostly.

Josquius

Another grand why driving is horrible experience today.
At the supermarket parking is full. Eventually I find a space squeezed between two posh cars who have parked terribly off centre.
I spend 5 minutes going in and out trying to fit without hitting them. Eventually make it and have to climb out the passenger side door to get out.

Then from the driver side car some awful woman finally decides to make herself known to say I can't park there as its blocking her husband from getting in.
Like.
Couldnt you have told me this earlier. FFS
██████
██████
██████

garbon

So? She can pull out and he get in once she's done so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on December 18, 2021, 05:55:06 AM
At the supermarket parking is full. Eventually I find a space squeezed between two posh cars who have parked terribly off centre.
I spend 5 minutes going in and out trying to fit without hitting them. Eventually make it and have to climb out the passenger side door to get out.

Then from the driver side car some awful woman finally decides to make herself known to say I can't park there as its blocking her husband from getting in.
Like.

I would not have moved my car one mm. What did you do?

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on December 18, 2021, 06:31:23 AM

Like.

He placed a claymore mine under the driver's side front wheel-arch, so if she invaded his space, she would have deserved it.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on December 18, 2021, 06:46:06 AM

Like.

He placed a claymore mine under the driver's side front wheel-arch, so if she invaded his space, she would have deserved it.   :bowler:

:lmfao: Proportional.

Josquius

Like.

I said she could have told me she was there earlier and it was her fault as she parked horribly... but then the husband showed up quite awkwardly so I moved so they could leave.
██████
██████
██████