News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Some of these I don't remember at all...wtf are "the guardians"? Why was "the protestor" so notable 3 years after obama got elected, and what happened with good samaritans in 2005?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on December 13, 2021, 03:54:38 PM
Some of these I don't remember at all...wtf are "the guardians"? Why was "the protestor" so notable 3 years after obama got elected, and what happened with good samaritans in 2005?

"The Protestor" should be the most obvious - 2011 was the year of the Arab Spring.

"The Guardians" were several reporters who were harassed / killed for their coverage.  Jamal Kashoggi is the most notable.

"The Good Samaritans" were Bono, Bill and Melinda Gates for their philanthropy.

"The Silence Breakers" was the Me Too movement.

"The Whistleblowers" uncovered fraud and deceit at, amongst others, Enron.

And I very obviously remember this all and did not have to google any of it. :smarty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

They seem a bit lazy just picking the presidential election winners every 4 years. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2021, 04:09:43 PM
They seem a bit lazy just picking the presidential election winners every 4 years. :P
They also seem to be pretty pessimistic on Joe's life expectancy.  :(

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2021, 04:09:43 PM

Well not exactly every year - Clinton got it in '92 but not '96, GHW Bush got it in '90, Reagan got it in '80 and '83 but not '84, Nixon got it in '70 and '71, but not '68, Eisenhower got it in '58 and '44, but neither were election years.

But yeah - a sitting President is pretty much guaranteed to be Man of the Year at some point.  Ford was the only exception, but understandable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

'44 was an election year, just not Ike's.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Sheilbh

WTF - the Met doing crime, but festive. With an advent calendar of twelve suspects they're looking for :blink:
https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1470436792201527302?s=21
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Took the dog out to pee around dusk and there was a deer wandering around between my yard and the neighbors'.

I took her out again to poop, and the deer was still there, laying down in the bushes and watching me. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 15, 2021, 12:36:16 AM
Took the dog out to pee around dusk and there was a deer wandering around between my yard and the neighbors'.

I took her out again to poop, and the deer was still there, laying down in the bushes and watching me. :hmm:

Oh dear, oh dear.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on December 15, 2021, 05:46:15 AM

Oh dear, oh dear.  :(
It's like a horse with horns.

alfred russel

I'm on a ridge just above a river and the deer trail down to the river goes through my backyard...deer are constantly walking around back there...my dog will bark at them and chase after them. We probably need to get a fence or he is going to run off...

It is legal to hunt here with a bow...I've been contemplating getting a bow and learning how to clean a deer and then we would have no more meat expenses. But my wife is not on board.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Your wife is right.
Campers suck.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on December 15, 2021, 08:23:02 AM

I'm on a ridge just above a river and the deer trail down to the river goes through my backyard...deer are constantly walking around back there...my dog will bark at them and chase after them. We probably need to get a fence or he is going to run off...

It is legal to hunt here with a bow...I've been contemplating getting a bow and learning how to clean a deer and then we would have no more meat expenses. But my wife is not on board.

I am with you for a change. If you live right next door to such an emergency food source why not learn how to utilise it.