News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I'm confused, what unit do you use for breast milk?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on September 19, 2021, 01:49:50 PM
Wait a sec, when did the Raiders move to Las Vegas? :unsure:

For the 2020 season.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2021, 05:23:03 PM
For Duque - on measurements. This is depressingly accurate for me :ph34r:

I'm pro metric all the way, but surely pints of beer is a necessary and appropriate exception.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 19, 2021, 08:50:13 PM

I'm pro metric all the way, but surely pints of beer is a necessary and appropriate exception.

You get used to 500 mL pretty quick. I buy tall cans of beer and I have no problem with the 500 mL of the Euro imports compared to the 473 mL of the North American cans.

It's nice to get beer in Imperial pints, but that's only available in a limited number of establishments around here.

Syt

Nothing to see here, just a plant design in a small town in Hesse ....

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I'm not sure on most of this.
For short distances feet yes (you can pace them out. And football) but inches... Only for very specific things. I find even many older people will do short distances in mm.

And in weight it depends on the age of the person.
A baby people expect the weight in pounds. For adults however it's pure stone... Traditionally. Over my lifetime I'm seeing a shift there with the more sensible kg taking over.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Inches are great for tabletop wargames with miniatures. I like that it's still standard there.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2021, 01:38:11 AM

For short distances feet yes (you can pace them out. And football) but inches... Only for very specific things. I find even many older people will do short distances in mm.

And in weight it depends on the age of the person.
A baby people expect the weight in pounds. For adults however it's pure stone... Traditionally. Over my lifetime I'm seeing a shift there with the more sensible kg taking over.

Is feet really easier to pace out than meters?

Sheilbh

If you have a ruler sure - but in terms of your mental measurement for small distances I'd say it's probably inches.

QuoteAnd in weight it depends on the age of the person.
Isn't that because it's a terrifying baby that ways more than a stone? :ph34r:

But that's the only context I ever hear ounces. I know and use stone/lbs and kilos for adult weight.

Edit:
QuoteIs feet really easier to pace out than meters?
Obviously this is from the perspective of a man - but I always assumed it was about the length of a foot if I needed to pace it.

Although again I use it to measure things (I know my height in feet and inches) but my mental measurements is more feet (and metres).
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'm going to put more fear into Sheilbh with some pics/clips of lava burning houses in La Palma.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1439692352969494537

No one was injuried since everybody was evacuated in time. Yup, nature can be terrifying.

The Brain

Is that an Earth elemental or a Fire elemental?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 19, 2021, 05:27:08 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2021, 03:13:27 PM
[...]
Just seen some video and I am, yet again, terrified of nature.

It's weird because personally I always associate volcanoes with sort of desolate land around them like, no offence Leg, bits of Iceland or New Zealand.

If it's any consolation, it happened in the outermost and one of the less populated islands of the Canaries (La Palma, pop. 85k), and has only affected sparse rural communities that were all evacuated on time.

Duque de Bragança

No longer yards for football?  :P How many feet between the wall and the ball in a free kick? 9.15 metres, before you ask.  :D

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 20, 2021, 06:08:57 AM

No longer yards for football?  :P How many feet between the wall and the ball in a free kick? 9.15 metres, before you ask.  :D
True. Was half asleep posting there. Merged feet and yards in my mind I think.
That's about the only place I've ever seen a yard.
So where feet are actually used remains solely with people.

As mentioned however its pure feet. That the sub units are inches I think many don't even realise.
Just as with stone the relationship with pounds is nebulous.
██████
██████
██████