News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Interesting that this still flies in Spain.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

A Minecraft screenshot doth not a theater make.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 17, 2021, 11:54:28 AM
Interesting that this still flies in Spain.

It's been massively ridiculed. Apparently it's a long time project by a musician that was huge in the 80s and 90s that is currently in cahoots with the region's president. It stinks of closed door arrangements and corruption.

Edit: The musician was in charge of a public event on the past May 2nd (regional holiday celebrating the citizens' of Madrid rising against Napoleon) that was basically a shameless promotional event for the region's president. Afterwards it was found out that they spent the summer together in Ibiza. I don't know if they're hooking up or not but it surely seems like that.

From the May 2nd event, the musician is the one on the left, the region's president the one on the right.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2021, 11:47:51 AM
Speaking of theaters, possibly the best construction project to ever happen in Spain. The Madrid council has approved building an aztec pyramid-shaped theater surrounded by a giant parking lot, the first play to be a musical dedicated to Hernán Cortés:

Also of note, apparently the adress of the site is on "Avenida Machupichu".  :lol:

Syt

Unless there's ritual human sacrifice what's the point? :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 17, 2021, 12:06:05 PM
Speaking of theaters, possibly the best construction project to ever happen in Spain. The Madrid council has approved building an aztec pyramid-shaped theater surrounded by a giant parking lot, the first play to be a musical dedicated to Hernán Cortés:

Also of note, apparently the adress of the site is on "Avenida Machupichu".  :lol:

:lol:

grumbler

Cultural appropriation!  :mad:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

This feels like a bold take from the Ford's Theater:
QuoteFord's Theatre NPS
@FordsTheatreNPS
Do you ever feel we, as a nation, put Abraham Lincoln "on a pedestal"?

What do you think might be a more useful, more complex, or more realistic way to think about or memorialize the 16th president?

Image: Library of Congress
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Wait a sec, when did the Raiders move to Las Vegas? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

QuoteSpanish Canary Island volcano erupts after weeks of earthquakes
About 40 people were evacuated from near the volcano on La Palma Island before the eruption

A volcano erupted on the Spanish Canary Island of La Palma on Sunday after a week of building seismic activity.

A huge column of smoke rose up after the eruption at 3.15pm local time in the Cumbre Vieja national park in the south of the island, according to the Canary Islands government.

Just before, authorities had evacuated about 40 people with mobility problems and farm animals from the villages around the volcano.

Soldiers were deployed to help with the evacuation, the defence ministry said, and it was expected that more people would be evacuated from surrounding towns.

Before the eruption scientists had recorded a series of earthquakes reaching 3.8 magnitude in the national park, according to the Spanish National Geographical Institute (ING).

The earliest recorded volcanic eruption in La Palma took place in 1430, according to the ING. In the last eruption in 1971, one man was killed when he took photographs near the lava flows but no property was damaged.

Josquius

Isn't there a yellowstone level eruption expected out of one of those sometime soon? :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

For Duque - on measurements. This is depressingly accurate for me :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2021, 03:13:27 PM
[...]
Just seen some video and I am, yet again, terrified of nature.

It's weird because personally I always associate volcanoes with sort of desolate land around them like, no offence Leg, bits of Iceland or New Zealand.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi