And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 05:40:34 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2020, 05:28:14 AM
The Brits used to call the North Sea the German Ocean but the name was changed during WW1.
Yeah - a shame. North Sea is a bit bland, German Ocean has more romance.

On naming controversies - what is meant to be the difference between Ocean and Sea and have any others been demoted/promoted? :hmm:

Aral Sea sure as hell as been demoted to desert. :(

Richard Hakluyt

The Brits used to call the North Sea the German Ocean but the name was changed during WW1.

On naming controversies - what is meant to be the difference between Ocean and Sea and have any others been demoted/promoted? :hmm:

Yeah, North Sea sounds cold and dreary, German Ocean sounds like a mighty sea and highway with fantastic opportunities for trade and adventure. So i guess that will be a NO from Farage if we ever campaign to revert to the original name.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 20, 2020, 05:39:48 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2020, 05:38:59 AM
The Gulf is the one that creates The Gulf Stream. :sombrero:

The Gulf of Mexico you mean?  :P

Why the tongue? That's exactly what I mean.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Valmy

I don't know :hmm:

But generally there are only five oceans I think. So if we were to reverse this North Sea outrage it would probably have to go back to the German Sea.

It appears the Romans called it "Mare Germanicum" and "Mare Frisicum".

So maybe the Frisian Sea. We lack things named after the Frisians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 20, 2020, 05:45:03 AM

Aral Sea sure as hell as been demoted to desert. :(

The Aral Puddle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2020, 05:51:02 AM
They have cattle - what more do they want? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

I don't know :hmm:

But generally there are only five oceans I think. So if we were to reverse this North Sea outrage it would probably have to go back to the German Sea.

It appears the Romans called it "Mare Germanicum" and "Mare Frisicum".

The Five Oceans came much later, possibly like the Seven Seas.
I have seen Oceanus Germanicus as well but not Mare Frisicum, the latter a sub-section of the former, specially in Roman times, namely after the campaigns of Drusus, and not just till Varus.
I still have the S&T Ancient War series wargames with their Ptolemaic-like maps for the Ancient Wars Series. Germany, or rather a distorted somewhat Germania (Magna) become more and more vague, if not terra incognita from the Elbe on, after the Viadua (Oder), it's fantasy territory.

Though the maps and/or later copies may have been better than what it has been believed since they were not properly deciphered until now:

https://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/mapping-ancient-germania-berlin-researchers-crack-the-ptolemy-code-a-720513.html?fbclid=IwAR3cKcaLo80UgvzzlwOLjwixA0yXou_7XQWprJsts737VFVbshMaGaROQJ8

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 06:02:31 AM
They have cattle - what more do they want? :blink:

Remember, not all people are like the Brain.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2020, 05:37:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2020, 05:33:04 AM

AFAIK it's a common cause of all the Arab countries bordering the Gulf, from Irak to Oman.

The gulf has been there for awhile. Did they only decide to rename it in the 1960s and it had been the Persian Gulf for centuries? Now that is some nationalist BS right there.

Of course it's a nationalistic movement, nobody is denying it. It appears in the 60s because that's when Arab nationalism and Pan-Arabism appear.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2020, 05:51:02 AMBut generally there are only five oceans I think. So if we were to reverse this North Sea outrage it would probably have to go back to the German Sea.

Yeah, convention is 5 oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic and Anctartic), dividing the continents. Then again, the number of continents is also a disputed issue.  :P

Josquius

I'm not sure on this one. North Sea is a common name in other languages around the area too.
From what I gather German ocean was an alternate name that became fashionable during the industrial revolution and was later dropped again.
Would be fascinated to see a writeup from anyone who knows historic maps better though
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

celedhring

Five oceans? Kids these days... Back in the good ole times there was only one true ocean. Then it got divvied up for no reason  :mad:

Duque de Bragança