And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 04:40:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 20, 2020, 04:35:35 AM
There does tend to be quite a rule in naming conventions for bits of sea that they refer to the lesser land mass that they seperate from the greater (whether geographically or politically).
E.g. English Channel, Irish sea, sea of Japan, Persian gulf.
Isn't the Persian Gulf quite controversial too? I swear I've seen the Arabian Gulf too and thought it was a little contentious.

Yeah, since the rise of Arab nationalism in the 60s Arab countries have been using "Arabian Gulf" for it.

Josquius

Yes, but in these it's clearly one country (or a group with the Arabs) going against the norm for petty nationalistic reasons.
East Sea in particular gets a "fuck off you numpties" from me.

On the gulf though it is notable how prissy the Persians also get about it. Being upset when people say the gulf even.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on October 20, 2020, 04:52:55 AM
Yes, but in these it's clearly one country (or a group with the Arabs) going against the norm for petty nationalistic reasons.

On the gulf though it is notable how prissy the Persians also get about it. Being upset when people say the gulf even.

IIRC there was a push in Morocco to call the Strait of Gibraltar "Strait of Maghrib" despite the fact "Strait of Gibraltar" is a name of Arabic origin itself.  :rolleyes:

Zanza

Germany calls the Baltic Sea "East Sea", but I guess that's not very contentious. We also use the equivalent of "La Manche" for the Channel.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2020, 01:39:07 AM
I'm English so I live in England, which is on the island of Britain which is the largest island in the British Isles. The so-called Celts can use whatever names they like, doesn't bother me  :P

Hiberno-Brythonic Islands/Archipelago?  :smarty:

Richard Hakluyt

The Brits used to call the North Sea the German Ocean but the name was changed during WW1.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2020, 05:28:14 AM
The Brits used to call the North Sea the German Ocean but the name was changed during WW1.

If you hadn't then maybe you could have been the German Archipelago :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

AFAIK it's a common cause of all the Arab countries bordering the Gulf, from Irak to Oman.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2020, 04:06:08 AM
Then again "Iberian Peninsula" is a XIXth century creation (the name itself is ancient, but it wasn't in common usage), it used to be Hispania/Spain for the whole thing but the Portuguese weren't fans either :P So I guess the Irish still have a chance.

Iberia has been in use for much longer than that. Most of the time, there is still the distinction between Iberos (ancient people) and Ibéricos as well.

Until the XVIIIth century Spain, actually Hispanic, could mean Iberia, a mere geographical expression, so there was no problem with the concept. With your French Bourbon dynasty (beautiful Lys flower remember), centralizing everything, things changed as you should know, botifler.  :P
Iberia was used for Hispania as well from Roman times, more so from Trajan on because earlier on Iberia could also refer to the Caucasus area. Same as with Albania, meaning mountainous country, of which there was one in the Caucasus.

First record of Spania is actually the Justinian temporary reconquista to the Wisigoths in southern Iberia. ;)

Portuguese distinguishes Persa (Persian) from Pérsico, the latter being geographical as in Índico vs Indiano (from India) and Índio (native from the Americas).

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2020, 05:33:04 AM

AFAIK it's a common cause of all the Arab countries bordering the Gulf, from Irak to Oman.

The gulf has been there for awhile. Did they only decide to rename it in the 1960s and it had been the Persian Gulf for centuries? Now that is some nationalist BS right there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on October 20, 2020, 04:55:58 AM

IIRC there was a push in Morocco to call the Strait of Gibraltar "Strait of Maghrib" despite the fact "Strait of Gibraltar" is a name of Arabic origin itself.  :rolleyes:

Back to the Pillars of Hercules I say, per Jovem!

Eddie Teach

The Gulf is the one that creates The Gulf Stream. :sombrero:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2020, 05:37:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 20, 2020, 05:33:04 AM

The gulf has been there for awhile. Did they only decide to rename it in the 1960s and it had been the Persian Gulf for centuries? Now that is some nationalist BS right there.

There is also the Solomonic PC attempt with Arab(o)-Persian Gulf which fails to appease both parties.
Even heard in French sometimes.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 20, 2020, 05:38:59 AM
The Gulf is the one that creates The Gulf Stream. :sombrero:

The Gulf of Mexico you mean?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2020, 05:28:14 AM
Yeah - a shame. North Sea is a bit bland, German Ocean has more romance.

On naming controversies - what is meant to be the difference between Ocean and Sea and have any others been demoted/promoted? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!