News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

If I want a "basic" burger, I usually go BK. They have a few that I like, but I haven't been in ages. TBF, I hardly order or go to fancier burger places unless it's on company dime or if friends insist.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Oh, supposedly Wahlburger's is really good too.  There's one in Chicago that I plan on checking out with co-workers if this pandemic ever lifts and I get to go back. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2020, 10:24:46 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 10:21:31 AM
We ordered burgers for a working lunch today. Mine was with smoked cheese, cheddar, tamarind-chipotle ketchup, marinated black beans, guac, red onions, tomato, salad, in hand made burger bread. Is that what you mean by fancy? :P
Yes.

I have no issue with it generally. BUT basically I just want a fast food burger. And I got really annoyed with some friends who got really into burgers and were like "let's go and try this new burger joint everyone's raving about."

Every single time I was just thinking "it's a burger. It's fine. Why is it £15?" :ultra:

And Five Guys is cheap? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Speaking of burger joints, I'm just disappointed they closed all Alberta Red Robin locations early in the year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 10:08:43 AM
Seems Vienna is getting a new exotic restaurant:

Why is that sign in English? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 11:44:23 AM

Why not? Especially in the main tourist spot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 11:49:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 11:44:23 AM

Why not? Especially in the main tourist spot.

Don't they want locals to be able to read it without breaking out their German-English translation apps? Though granted maybe it isn't for them :P

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Not the part of Vienna where that would be an issue. :P

I recall elsewhere a fast food stand selling Leberkäs advertising:

"Jalapeno*-Leberkäs

*Mexican paprika"
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 11:42:22 AM
Speaking of burger joints, I'm just disappointed they closed all Alberta Red Robin locations early in the year.
I think the entire chain is failing dude.  Red Robin annoyed me.  'Bottomless fries', sure, but good luck ever flagging down a fucking server to get a refill. :rolleyes:

Tonitrus

They were really nice when I was young, and they more a hometown/regional chain.  :(

The failure of growing into excessive mediocrity.

Caliga

I mean, I like the burgers overall and some of their monthly specials (not sure if they still run those?) were really awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2020, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 11:42:22 AM
I think the entire chain is failing dude.  Red Robin annoyed me.  'Bottomless fries', sure, but good luck ever flagging down a fucking server to get a refill. :rolleyes:

Their fries were pretty "meh" anyways.

I liked their burgers though, and they were pretty tolerant of kids.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2020, 12:31:22 PM
They were really nice when I was young, and they more a hometown/regional chain.  :(

There is this kind of weird issue as a consumer that you want your favorite businesses to be successful...not not too successful. Becoming huge tends to degrade quality and warp priorities of the company, at least from a consumer perspective.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2020, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 23, 2020, 12:31:22 PM

There is this kind of weird issue as a consumer that you want your favorite businesses to be successful...not not too successful. Becoming huge tends to degrade quality and warp priorities of the company, at least from a consumer perspective.

I don't think it's an effect of bring "too big", but rather inevitably a business goes out of the hands of its original founder and falls into the hands of the bean counters it does change its priorities.

Tonitrus

It's called "selling out".  :P