And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 21, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
Well, he was a cheater...

He wasn't cheating in college, he was a skinny little dude.

He beat Bama to win the national title. Anybody who does that is a hero for life...even in baseball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I just had the greatest idea for a mobile game that will definitely make me rich and make its users look like idiots.
Now.
I just need to figure out how to make even the most basic of mobile apps
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Hostage siege ends after Ukrainian president endorses Joaquin Phoenix film
Gunman surrenders after video recommending 2005's Earthlings posted on Facebook

Andrew Roth in Moscow
Published onTue 21 Jul 2020 22.04 BST

A gunman in Ukraine armed with an automatic rifle and grenades has surrendered to police and released 13 hostages after the country's president consented to his demand to recommend the 2005 film Earthlings starring Joaquin Phoenix.

The niche film recommendation, delivered by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over Facebook, helped end an hours-long standoff in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk, where 44-year-old Maksym Kryvosh seized a bus and demanded that dozens of government officials admit to being "terrorists".

During the hostage crisis, which began on Tuesday morning, Kryvosh opened fire and threw a grenade at a police drone. The reports of automatic gunfire sent some journalists at the scene diving for cover. No one was seriously injured during the standoff. A bullet was reported to have nearly struck the national chief of police.

The gunman also spoke with journalists and monitored social media during the hostage crisis, although his Twitter account was eventually deactivated. One hostage, who spoke with a journalist by telephone during the crisis, begged them to put the gunman in touch with the president's office.

Zelenskiy spoke directly with Kryvosh, a spokeswoman said, after which three of the hostages were released from the bus. The rest were released shortly after he posted a short video online about a Joaquin Phoenix film critical of the poor treatment of animals.

"The film Earthlings from 2005. Everyone should watch it," Zelenskiy said in the video released over Facebook. It was deleted after Kryvosh surrendered and replaced with a note thanking police and others who helped end the hostage crisis.

"Human life is the most important value. We have not lost anyone," Zelenskiy wrote.

Kryvosh is an animal rights activist, local media reported. He had also spent nearly a decade in prison on fraud and weapons charges and was described by police as "unstable" after the incident.

Kryvosh, holding an automatic rifle and wearing a beret, wrote a more than 500-page manifesto and delivered an anti-government screed shortly before he boarded the bus in Lutsk on Tuesday and told police that he had rigged it with explosives.

Late on Tuesday, the Ukrainian interior minister, Arsen Avakov, said: "The film ... is a good one. And you don't have to be so screwed up and cause such a horror for the whole country – you can watch it without that."

I'd have drawn up a red line if he'd demanded "I'm Still Here".

The Brain

QuoteKryvosh, holding an automatic rifle and wearing a beret, wrote a more than 500-page manifesto

To him, it was Tuesday.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on July 22, 2020, 04:22:14 AM
Hostage siege ends after Ukrainian president endorses Joaquin Phoenix film
Gunman surrenders after video recommending 2005's Earthlings posted on Facebook

Andrew Roth in Moscow
Published onTue 21 Jul 2020 22.04 BST

A gunman in Ukraine armed with an automatic rifle and grenades has surrendered to police and released 13 hostages after the country's president consented to his demand to recommend the 2005 film Earthlings starring Joaquin Phoenix.

The niche film recommendation, delivered by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over Facebook, helped end an hours-long standoff in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk, where 44-year-old Maksym Kryvosh seized a bus and demanded that dozens of government officials admit to being "terrorists".

During the hostage crisis, which began on Tuesday morning, Kryvosh opened fire and threw a grenade at a police drone. The reports of automatic gunfire sent some journalists at the scene diving for cover. No one was seriously injured during the standoff. A bullet was reported to have nearly struck the national chief of police.

The gunman also spoke with journalists and monitored social media during the hostage crisis, although his Twitter account was eventually deactivated. One hostage, who spoke with a journalist by telephone during the crisis, begged them to put the gunman in touch with the president's office.

Zelenskiy spoke directly with Kryvosh, a spokeswoman said, after which three of the hostages were released from the bus. The rest were released shortly after he posted a short video online about a Joaquin Phoenix film critical of the poor treatment of animals.

"The film Earthlings from 2005. Everyone should watch it," Zelenskiy said in the video released over Facebook. It was deleted after Kryvosh surrendered and replaced with a note thanking police and others who helped end the hostage crisis.

"Human life is the most important value. We have not lost anyone," Zelenskiy wrote.

Kryvosh is an animal rights activist, local media reported. He had also spent nearly a decade in prison on fraud and weapons charges and was described by police as "unstable" after the incident.

Kryvosh, holding an automatic rifle and wearing a beret, wrote a more than 500-page manifesto and delivered an anti-government screed shortly before he boarded the bus in Lutsk on Tuesday and told police that he had rigged it with explosives.

Late on Tuesday, the Ukrainian interior minister, Arsen Avakov, said: "The film ... is a good one. And you don't have to be so screwed up and cause such a horror for the whole country – you can watch it without that."

I'd have drawn up a red line if he'd demanded "I'm Still Here".

So Ukraine has a grenade problem.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Seems Vienna is getting a new exotic restaurant:

The location is in the most touristic part of town, right off Stephansplatz, so I doubt I'll ever go there. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I only had it once & I liked it but it was fat galore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Five Guys is okay, but no way it's the best.

Habbaku

Five Guys is a very above-average burger joint. But it is also a burger joint.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

In terms of burger chains we have McD, BK, and if we're generous a shitty version of KFC and a TGI Fridays. We do have tons of hipsteriffic burger places, though.

Dominos opened a few years ago, but I don't know anyone who ever ordered from them. Again, we have tons and tons of pizza delivery services already, and they don't seem to have anything that sets them apart.

Dunkin' Donuts tried to launch, but they failed. They have one token shop left that's clinging on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Five Guys is very good. We had a trend for a long while of fancy burgers which was the most tedious thing in the world and Five Guys is great because it isn't fancy. It is a trashy burger that is squashed down and great for what it is. I am a big fan.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I swear this is at least the 3rd if not the 4th time we discuss Five Guys on these very forums.

Syt

We ordered burgers for a working lunch today. Mine was with smoked cheese, cheddar, tamarind-chipotle ketchup, marinated black beans, guac, red onions, tomato, salad, in hand made burger bread. Is that what you mean by fancy? :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I like Five Guys but as far as the 'newer' burger chains go we have a few that are better:

Shake Shack
The Habit
BurgerFi

What's really great at Five Guys are the fries.... they are worth going for on their own.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2020, 10:21:31 AM
We ordered burgers for a working lunch today. Mine was with smoked cheese, cheddar, tamarind-chipotle ketchup, marinated black beans, guac, red onions, tomato, salad, in hand made burger bread. Is that what you mean by fancy? :P
Yes.

I have no issue with it generally. BUT basically I just want a fast food burger. And I got really annoyed with some friends who got really into burgers and were like "let's go and try this new burger joint everyone's raving about."

Every single time I was just thinking "it's a burger. It's fine. Why is it £15?" :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!