Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2020, 04:39:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
I don't understand why countries who do not have an issue with police brutality are doing this stuff. Is this kind of thing really helping? It seems like it is damaging our coalition and creating a distraction from the real issue.

I don't know.

But in this case just change it back to Berlin. If St. Petersburg can do it so can Kitchener :P
So I think the other protests are in solidarity with the US but then also local activists sort-of using the language provided by activitsts in the US to address their own issues.

I worry in the UK that it's a little less focused than the US, so less likely to deliver results. And I think most other countries have an issue to some degree of police misconduct or racism.

Yeah but using the US lingo and copycating it will not help I think.

I can very easily believe there are regular racist incidents with British police because why they would be different to pretty much every police force, but quite obviously they are not regularly gunning down black people semi-randomly like in the US. Drawing an equation between the British and the American situation thus can only dilute the valid British points, as the British situation will not look severe when  looked at with the American lenses provided by the protesters themselves.

Given the higher rate of deaths for BAMEs due to COVID-19 and the British government's essentially non-actions, Black Lives Matter seems like a fitting slogan even if used for a different aims.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2020, 05:13:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2020, 04:39:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
I don't understand why countries who do not have an issue with police brutality are doing this stuff. Is this kind of thing really helping? It seems like it is damaging our coalition and creating a distraction from the real issue.

I don't know.

But in this case just change it back to Berlin. If St. Petersburg can do it so can Kitchener :P
So I think the other protests are in solidarity with the US but then also local activists sort-of using the language provided by activitsts in the US to address their own issues.

I worry in the UK that it's a little less focused than the US, so less likely to deliver results. And I think most other countries have an issue to some degree of police misconduct or racism.

Yeah but using the US lingo and copycating it will not help I think.

I can very easily believe there are regular racist incidents with British police because why they would be different to pretty much every police force, but quite obviously they are not regularly gunning down black people semi-randomly like in the US. Drawing an equation between the British and the American situation thus can only dilute the valid British points, as the British situation will not look severe when  looked at with the American lenses provided by the protesters themselves.

Given the higher rate of deaths for BAMEs due to COVID-19 and the British government's essentially non-actions, Black Lives Matter seems like a fitting slogan even if used for a different aims.

Yes but in that case perhaps gathering black lives together in tight crowds is sub-optimal.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2020, 05:17:27 AM
Yes but in that case perhaps gathering black lives together in tight crowds is sub-optimal.

Of course, but then I'm not sure what more effective means they have of trying to have their voices heard. We've seen just this week that Boris has already stacked the deck in the next racial inequalities review.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

IT dress codes have changed since the 80s.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Thats what made me go into the field.
I feel cheated.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2020, 09:47:25 AM
Thats what made me go into the field.
I feel cheated.

Great hair with awesome volume?

Syt

I think my coworkers wouldn't appreciate me topless at the office, my gut hanging over the waistband of my trunks. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 17, 2020, 09:50:34 AM
I think my coworkers wouldn't appreciate me topless at the office, my gut hanging over the waistband of my trunks. :(
Should work in Germany.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

So this is it, I've discovered the smallest hill I'll die on: people using "performative" incorrectly <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2020, 02:11:32 PM
So this is it, I've discovered the smallest hill I'll die on: people using "performative" incorrectly <_<

that concert was great. the band was very performative.

*edit* I guess this still might be accurate, depending on context
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

they're re branding aunt jemima and uncle bens. congrats to them and their upcoming massive loss of market share. But i guess at this point there's no choice.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2020, 02:45:24 PM
they're re branding aunt jemima and uncle bens. congrats to them and their upcoming massive loss of market share. But i guess at this point there's no choice.

I don't think speaking of branding is a great idea.

Savonarola

At the dentist office this morning:

Dental Hygienist:  Did anyone ever tell you that you have a geographic tongue?
Savonarola:  I'm a married man, you whore  :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)

I've never heard of a geographic tongue before despite having one all my life.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2020, 02:11:32 PM

Could have been worse.  You could have chosen fulsome