News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2020, 10:50:37 AM
It is true but do recall that New York standards are not the same as American standards. ;)
:lol: There is also that woman on TikTok who is making videos abut how to make tea and I can't tell if they're jokes or deliberate attacks.

QuoteI don't know why though British people think it is a great idea to have washing machines but not dryers (and I don't mean that horrible combination called a washer-dryer). After all it seems like hanging one's clothes on a line/airer is a lot more work (both hanging and with ironing) and bit of hopeful measure in a wet/humid country.
I don't iron things :ph34r:

I don't think I've had a tumble dryer since living with my parents.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

So cancel culture strikes again - now there are demands that the city of Kitchener, Ontario change it's name.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-name-change-debate-being-revisited-1.4985290

Of course the irony here is that the city has already changed it's name once.  It used to be called Berlin, and was changed during WWI to be named after a British Field Marshall, Herbert Kitchener.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I don't understand why countries who do not have an issue with police brutality are doing this stuff. Is this kind of thing really helping? It seems like it is damaging our coalition and creating a distraction from the real issue.

I don't know.

But in this case just change it back to Berlin. If St. Petersburg can do it so can Kitchener :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
I don't understand why countries who do not have an issue with police brutality are doing this stuff. Is this kind of thing really helping? It seems like it is damaging our coalition and creating a distraction from the real issue.

I don't know.

But in this case just change it back to Berlin. If St. Petersburg can do it so can Kitchener :P

While I don't think we have the depth of problem the US does, I can't say we don't have any issues with police racism or excessive force.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM

I don't know.

So I think the other protests are in solidarity with the US but then also local activists sort-of using the language provided by activitsts in the US to address their own issues.

I worry in the UK that it's a little less focused than the US, so less likely to deliver results. And I think most other countries have an issue to some degree of police misconduct or racism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2020, 11:20:53 AM
While I don't think we have the depth of problem the US does, I can't say we don't have any issues with police racism or excessive force.

Ok I am just getting a little annoyed about now in online discussions about BLM and police reform in the United States, something which is now supported by a large majority of the population, we are starting get angry foreigners showing up furious about some dumb ass statue in their country being torn down. That shit has nothing to do with us. It is creating a powerful wedge issue to decrease support at a moment where it feels different this time, that some progress may actually be made and lots of our political opponents are now coming around.

I don't want to see another reactionary backlash drown it out like in 2016, as in one with widespread popular support where they made "blue lives matter" a thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
And I think most other countries have an issue to some degree of police misconduct or racism.

The law enforcement statistics suggest it is orders of magnitude smaller.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on June 16, 2020, 11:06:16 AM
Yeah, oddly enough we have such amazing machines as electric kettles here in California.  Truly this is an amazing land.

They aren't a common thing to purchase though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

What do you use an electric kettle for besides making tea?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 11:43:09 AM

Wouldn't it be for everything you would use a normal kettle for?

Sheilbh

Basically anything you need boiling water for - so mainly making tea and coffee. But it's also quicker than boiling on a stove so normally you'll boil water in the kettle and then pour it into a pan if you're cooking pasta, steaming anything, boiling anything, making stock etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:10:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2020, 10:50:37 AM
It is true but do recall that New York standards are not the same as American standards. ;)
:lol: There is also that woman on TikTok who is making videos abut how to make tea and I can't tell if they're jokes or deliberate attacks.

QuoteI don't know why though British people think it is a great idea to have washing machines but not dryers (and I don't mean that horrible combination called a washer-dryer). After all it seems like hanging one's clothes on a line/airer is a lot more work (both hanging and with ironing) and bit of hopeful measure in a wet/humid country.
I don't iron things :ph34r:

I don't think I've had a tumble dryer since living with my parents.

Might be a London thing due to limited space? Everyone seems to have them up here.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:47:18 AM
Wouldn't it be for everything you would use a normal kettle for?

Making tea.  Maybe a cup of boullion. :mellow:

Boiling in a kettle, transferring to a pot to make pasta (or ramen) seems like adding an unnecessary step.  Is it really that much faster?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:32:38 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 16, 2020, 11:20:53 AM

Ok I am just getting a little annoyed about now in online discussions about BLM and police reform in the United States, something which is now supported by a large majority of the population, we are starting get angry foreigners showing up furious about some dumb ass statue in their country being torn down. That shit has nothing to do with us. It is creating a powerful wedge issue to decrease support at a moment where it feels different this time, that some progress may actually be made and lots of our political opponents are now coming around.

I don't want to see another reactionary backlash drown it out like in 2016, as in one with widespread popular support where they made "blue lives matter" a thing.

:huh:

For once, this isn't about you.  Nobody is saying Kitchener, Ontario should be renamed, or that statues of Sir John A Macdonald should be removed, or that the Edmonton Eskimos change there name, are saying that we should do it because of US protests.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:49:47 AM
Basically anything you need boiling water for - so mainly making tea and coffee. But it's also quicker than boiling on a stove so normally you'll boil water in the kettle and then pour it into a pan if you're cooking pasta, steaming anything, boiling anything, making stock etc.

:yes:

Electric kettles are probably the most important appliance in any student dorm room/kitchen. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.