News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 01:28:39 PM
Don't know if it would work as a movie. Track suits isn't a great look.
:yeahright:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2020, 01:55:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2020, 01:28:39 PM
Don't know if it would work as a movie. Track suits isn't a great look.
:yeahright:

You may as well hear it from Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2020, 01:21:49 PM
Movie idea: a ship from Yugoslavia, sailing the oceans since before the country's dissolution. The crew represent all ethnicities of the country and refuse to recognize the end of their home country, seemingly forever voyaging on the sea as a symbol of unity.

Probably already imagined by Emir Kusturica. :P

Josquius

The movie needs an inciting incident to get them all turning on each other and acting out a microsm of the breakup wars.

Incidentally where was the original IT screw up spotted? It still live?
Quote from: Agelastus on June 15, 2020, 04:32:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 14, 2020, 04:42:14 PM
After a few months of mattress on the floor my bed is reassembled. It's just so much better and I don't get why.

The floor.

The Japanese, for example, have different types of futons depending on the floor surface they are being used on. Your mattress works better with the slats (if that is what you have) than with the hard floor.

More "give" I would assume.

Yes, makes a lot of sense. My girlfriend denies it and says its all in my mind, purely that I like being high (:whistle:)
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Just saw someone carrying their laundry in from their car to their apartment.  Brought back some terrible memories and made me appreciate the profound luxury of having a washing machine in the house.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 16, 2020, 10:28:48 AM
Just saw someone carrying their laundry in from their car to their apartment.  Brought back some terrible memories and made me appreciate the profound luxury of having a washing machine in the house.
This is up there with no kettles in American culture shock moments for a Brit :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Americans don't have kettles? :o
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Pretty sure they do?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2020, 10:31:44 AM
I think they sometimes have stovetop kettles, but they don't have electric kettles :mellow:

At least according to friend in New York - along with the no washing machine in flats as standard.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, electric kettles are rare (they aren't that common in Spain either). Stovetop ones I recall being reasonably common in households.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 10:36:22 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2020, 10:31:44 AM
I think they sometimes have stovetop kettles, but they don't have electric kettles :mellow:

At least according to friend in New York - along with the no washing machine in flats as standard.

It is true but do recall that New York standards are not the same as American standards. ;)

I don't know why though British people think it is a great idea to have washing machines but not dryers (and I don't mean that horrible combination called a washer-dryer). After all it seems like hanging one's clothes on a line/airer is a lot more work (both hanging and with ironing) and bit of hopeful measure in a wet/humid country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

New York is really different from anywhere else in the US, which is kind of odd since it is also the most famous place. So the United States many foreigners see is the exception and not the rule.

But yes I use a stovetop kettle all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I once read a guide about Americans moving to Canada & there was a tip about how Canadians have electric kettles & don't use microwaves to boil water.

Pretty sure the author was from NYC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I was kind of gobsmacked by the notion that we (well in Canada) don't have kettles.  Of course we do.  Electric ones even - they're much faster than trying to boil water on the stove.

You can even use them even if you don't make tea very often.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Yeah, oddly enough we have such amazing machines as electric kettles here in California.  Truly this is an amazing land.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM