News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2020, 02:47:57 PM
I find that it feels like the clothes are not 100% dry when they are still hot; but once they cool down to room temperature they are fine. They are one of the great labour-saving devices imo  :cool:

That's what I've always noticed from my combined washer dryer.

It's very rare that a load is not dried adequately.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on June 16, 2020, 01:41:37 PM
My induction stove can heat water faster than the electric kettle.

Show off

Saladin

"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Saladin

"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

I have an electric kettle, but I got it fairly recently.  I was shocked at how much faster it boils the water compared to stovetop kettle.

Josquius

We have now discussed kettles.
What's next on the list of our mission to cover everything?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2020, 05:18:51 PM

Not so fast, there is much more to explore.  What kettles were used by Pickett's men.  If they had used electric kettles the morning of the battle, would they have broken through and won the war?

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2020, 05:27:19 PM

Not so fast, there is much more to explore.  What kettles were used by Pickett's men.  If they had used electric kettles the morning of the battle, would they have broken through and won the war?

Would have turned into a kettleschlacht.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

K-pop!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2020, 05:27:19 PM

No because, unfortunately, the Union Blockade had limited their tea and coffee rations to basically nothing. If they had had a little tea in them and were able to cut the Baltimore Pike I think they would have done it though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Saladin

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on June 16, 2020, 02:53:46 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2020, 02:47:57 PM
I find that it feels like the clothes are not 100% dry when they are still hot; but once they cool down to room temperature they are fine. They are one of the great labour-saving devices imo  :cool:

That's what I've always noticed from my combined washer dryer.

It's very rare that a load is not dried adequately.

Ugh but they take ten centuries to use. Separate machines can take no more than an hour across both to have a load done. Meanwhile in washer-dryer ville, you better be content not to see your clothing for hours.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
I don't understand why countries who do not have an issue with police brutality are doing this stuff. Is this kind of thing really helping? It seems like it is damaging our coalition and creating a distraction from the real issue.

I don't know.

But in this case just change it back to Berlin. If St. Petersburg can do it so can Kitchener :P
So I think the other protests are in solidarity with the US but then also local activists sort-of using the language provided by activitsts in the US to address their own issues.

I worry in the UK that it's a little less focused than the US, so less likely to deliver results. And I think most other countries have an issue to some degree of police misconduct or racism.

Yeah but using the US lingo and copycating it will not help I think.

I can very easily believe there are regular racist incidents with British police because why they would be different to pretty much every police force, but quite obviously they are not regularly gunning down black people semi-randomly like in the US. Drawing an equation between the British and the American situation thus can only dilute the valid British points, as the British situation will not look severe when  looked at with the American lenses provided by the protesters themselves.