News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

It can be a bit disfunctional in states where felons are disenfranchised.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2020, 04:19:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2020, 04:11:34 PM
How is that a failure? The prisoners hardly reside elsewhere.

It's a failure in the way that I described it as a failure.

Sounds more like a voting system failure in that case.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

We multitask our failures.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2020, 04:22:18 PM
It can be a bit disfunctional in states where felons are disenfranchised.

Is representation based on population or on number of people eligible to vote?

Syt

The site cameo.com has come up in my Twitter feed a bit recently. It's a site where celebrities (or those who consider themselves such :P ) offer to record birthday wishes, greetings  etc. for a fee. Some like Raphael Sbarge (the voice of Carth Onasi in KOTOR, Kaidan Alenko in Mass Effect and the spy Michael Jonas on ST Voyager) charge $28, whereas Jonathan Frakes charges $200, and former Steelers QB Terry Bradshaw asks $400. Looking through some some videos, let's just say, some people are better at this than others (e.g. Scott Grimes puts in effort, John DeLancie seems pretty cool about it, others not so much :P ). Some people choose to have their fees go directly to a charity of their choice, which is cool, I guess.

I don't think I would pay money for this, but if someone is a huge fan of something and a person related to that offers it, then why not?

That said, there's some interesting offers (with samples) in their politics section where you can book, among others:
Roger Stone ($50)
Rod Blagojevich ($75)
Anthony Scaramucci ($50)
Tomi Lahren ($80)
Sean Spicer ($199)
George Papadopoulos ($50)
Corey R. Lewandowski ($55)
Omarosa ($45)
Stormy Daniels ($250)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Jonathan Frakes has hit hard times?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

That explains the Picard finale.

Maladict

Can you make them say things about Languishites? That could be pretty funny.

Eddie Teach

Not $200 worth of funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Stormy Daniels just told me I'm bigger than the President. So worth $250.

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 17, 2020, 03:33:20 AM
Not $200 worth of funny.

They have people going as low as $5, but I'm too out of touch with C-list celebrities to recognise them.

The Larch

I found out Cameo a while ago, it seems like a mix of cool and sad to me, cool in the sense that it provides an avenue to interact with people you might admire or enjoy, but sad too because some of them just look so disinterested and wanting to make a quick buck, and any veneer that celebrity might give you quickly vanishes when you see some of this people recording their messages slouched on their sofas all disheveled, or while driving, or in many other not very glamourous situations. Definitely not for A-listers, I'd say.

I believe the site went viral after some former American Football player was made to record some kind of white supremacist code message through it, or something.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2020, 04:57:10 AM
I found out Cameo a while ago, it seems like a mix of cool and sad to me, cool in the sense that it provides an avenue to interact with people you might admire or enjoy, but sad too because some of them just look so disinterested and wanting to make a quick buck, and any veneer that celebrity might give you quickly vanishes when you see some of this people recording their messages slouched on their sofas all disheveled, or while driving, or in many other not very glamourous situations. Definitely not for A-listers, I'd say.

I believe the site went viral after some former American Football player was made to record some kind of white supremacist code message through it, or something.

Yeah, browsing the site yesterday I noticed a big gap between quality of offers. Some have a pretty standard routine they go through, some are making an effort to make things individual, and some just go through the motions. My impression is that the ones that do it for charity are more engaged, but that might just be the sample size. Length of clips also varies widely. Some to 15-30 second clips, and one old, niche voice actor I looked at did 6 minute videos. Most seem to range between 1 and 2 minutes, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on April 17, 2020, 05:01:20 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2020, 04:57:10 AM

Yeah, browsing the site yesterday I noticed a big gap between quality of offers. Some have a pretty standard routine they go through, some are making an effort to make things individual, and some just go through the motions. My impression is that the ones that do it for charity are more engaged, but that might just be the sample size. Length of clips also varies widely. Some to 15-30 second clips, and one old, niche voice actor I looked at did 6 minute videos. Most seem to range between 1 and 2 minutes, though.

I remember when I first found it out finding some actor with quite some name recognition and a bit of a celeb back in the day (can't remember who exactly, but his name popped out quite a bit), with quite the prize tag to match, and browsing through the public messages it seemed that he just recorded a bunch of them in a row with his phone from his sofa after waking up, he sounded so sleepy and disinterested, but doing the math he made something like a thousand dollars from that batch of videos.

I guess it all depends on their motivation as well, if it's something they've signed up eagerly or something they've just been convinced to do. Or how long they've been in the site as well.

Might take a look later to see who's in there nowadays.  :ph34r:

Josquius

Just had a quick look through. Seems Jim O'Heir puts in the effort doing 5 minute sketches whilst Zachary Levi is donating fees to charity. I'm curious to see the worst :hmm:
██████
██████
██████