News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I was planning to make a Rimworld AAR using a 100 characters all named for members of Languish.  Unfortunately we don't have 100 members still posting. :(  I was a bit surprised that we have a few lurkers, though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I have a feeling there's a shed joke I'm missing.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2020, 04:08:12 AM
I have a feeling there's a shed joke I'm missing.
I wouldn't shed tears over it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 03:50:33 AM
I was planning to make a Rimworld AAR using a 100 characters all named for members of Languish.  Unfortunately we don't have 100 members still posting. :(  I was a bit surprised that we have a few lurkers, though.

I'm sure you could get to 100 using some infamous characters of years gone by.

Josquius

I've been playing with this tool that places a historic map side by side with a modern google satelite view.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=54.97981&lon=-1.49234&layers=1&right=BingHyb

One thing I'm finding quite fascinating is how the difference in size between the large settlements and more modest ones was not so pronounced at that time. You still have substantial areas of countryside fairly close to major cities.
A better land truly.
Damn you motor car.
I hope we find a way to transition back to this with time, but I fear undoing it is easier done than creating it in the first place, which was actually in large part down to government policy also.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

It looks like Detroit is giving it a try.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maladict on April 15, 2020, 04:38:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 03:50:33 AM

I'm sure you could get to 100 using some infamous characters of years gone by.

Yeah, I was trying to get people who had posted this year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 08:59:30 AM

How can you tell who posted this year?

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2020, 04:59:06 AM
I've been playing with this tool that places a historic map side by side with a modern google satelite view.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=54.97981&lon=-1.49234&layers=1&right=BingHyb

One thing I'm finding quite fascinating is how the difference in size between the large settlements and more modest ones was not so pronounced at that time. You still have substantial areas of countryside fairly close to major cities.
A better land truly.
Damn you motor car.
I hope we find a way to transition back to this with time, but I fear undoing it is easier done than creating it in the first place, which was actually in large part down to government policy also.

Also, nothing beats hand drawn maps.

Sheilbh

:o

Following up from the story I posted earlier:
QuoteOxford professor arrested on suspicion of ancient papyrus theft
Dirk Obbink called claim about bible fragments a 'malicious attempt' to harm his career
Vikram Dodd Police and crime correspondent
Thu 16 Apr 2020 17.57 BST
Last modified on Thu 16 Apr 2020 18.15 BST

An international mystery concerning the alleged theft of priceless ancient papyrus biblical fragments from a collection held at Oxford University has led to the arrest of a classics professor on suspicion of theft and fraud.

Dr Dirk Obbink, an associate professor in papyrology and Greek literature at the university, was detained by officers from Thames Valley police.

The force had received a report claiming the papyrus fragments that had been housed at the renowned Sackler Library in Oxford, which ended up in a biblical museum in the US, had been stolen.

Officers said the alleged theft was reported to them on 12 November. They made the arrest last month and the person detained has been released while inquiries continue.

Obbink, 63, has denied any wrongdoing, and has said the claims are a "malicious attempt" to harm his reputation and damage his career.

It is alleged that materials held at the Sackler Library had ended up in the US, in a collection belonging to the Museum of the Bible in Washington DC. It was founded in 2017 by the Green family, billionaire American evangelical Christians who own Hobby Lobby, a chain of crafting stores.

Obbink was suspended from duties at Oxford in October 2019 after an investigation into the disappearance of ancient papyrus fragments from the Oxyrhynchus collection, cared for in the Sackler Library and owned by the Egypt Exploration Society (EES).

The EES says the materials were removed from Oxford University premises and allegedly sold to the Museum of the Bible.

Dr Carl Graves, the EES director, said the society had given statements to the police investigation about what had gone missing. He said the Museum of the Bible had been cooperative and the missing fragments – 13 in total – had been returned.

Graves said: "These are early fragments of the gospels or biblical fragments. They are testament to Egypt's early Christian heritage and are early evidence of biblical scripture. We don't value them monetarily but they are priceless and irreplaceable."

Some of the fragments in the collection contain only one or two words, while others are larger, and Graves said it had taken decades of work to piece them together. The fragments come from Genesis, Exodus and Deuteronomy, among others.

In a statement, Obbink previously told the Guardian he denied any wrongdoing. "The allegations made against me that I have stolen, removed or sold items owned by the Egypt Exploration Society collection at the University of Oxford are entirely false," he said.

"I would never betray the trust of my colleagues and the values which I have sought to protect and uphold throughout my academic career in the way that has been alleged. I am aware that there are documents being used against me which I believe have been fabricated in a malicious attempt to harm my reputation and career."

The Guardian has previously reported that Obbink was involved in two businesses, the Castle Folio and Oxford Ancient, which operated in an office located above a branch of TK Maxx in the city.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maladict on April 15, 2020, 09:12:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 15, 2020, 08:59:30 AM

How can you tell who posted this year?

You can look at a list of members, sort it by the number of posts, and look at the highest posters most recent activity.

Admiral Yi

Interesting quirk (failure) of the US census I read about in the Econ.

People in prison in the US are considered to be residents of the prison by the census.  That means that the largely rural areas with prisons get awarded more representation in state and federal legislature.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2020, 04:05:03 PM
Interesting quirk (failure) of the US census I read about in the Econ.

People in prison in the US are considered to be residents of the prison by the census.  That means that the largely rural areas with prisons get awarded more representation in state and federal legislature.

How is that a failure? The prisoners hardly reside elsewhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2020, 04:11:34 PM
How is that a failure? The prisoners hardly reside elsewhere.

It's a failure in the way that I described it as a failure.