Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Wow, I've just got a pay rise. First ever. :blink:
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

At what point is that kind of botting treated as an act of war?  It kind of is.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 09, 2020, 08:09:52 AM
I think there's cases going on now in the US on that point, basically whether insurers have to payout for a cyber attack by a state-sponsored group or whether they are acts of war/foreign governments.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I wouldn't call it an act of war per se, unless we're massively redefining that term, but it's definitely a hostile act, a kind of XXIst century agent provocateur kind of thing.

Admiral Yi

An act of war for which there is no will to wage war in response is called a "provocation."

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2020, 08:24:45 AM

I wouldn't call it an act of war per se, unless we're massively redefining that term, but it's definitely a hostile act, a kind of XXIst century agent provocateur kind of thing.
Yeah - which Russia and the USSR were always good at. Time to re-read The Secret Agent which I swear is the most constantly relevant "classic" novel :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2020, 08:08:00 AM

:cheers: but also :huh:

First ever? Are you not staying at companies longer than six months?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2020, 08:38:57 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 09, 2020, 08:08:00 AM

:cheers: but also :huh:

First ever? Are you not staying at companies longer than six months?

My record is 4 years.
I've never been in a job that has done this.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I have never worked a year in my life where I did not receive a raise. Sure, at one time it was a meager 1%, but still.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2020, 10:56:28 AM
I have never worked a year in my life where I did not receive a raise. Sure, at one time it was a meager 1%, but still.

Ditto. I've worked jobs that had raises every 6 months, every 9 months, and every year, with the last being the most typical. Having a job that didn't give at least a yearly raise is equivalent to being told you're worth less than the year before and I doubt I'd work at that company for much longer unless I thought I suckered them into overpaying me in the first place.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I got a 1% raise once, I laugh & quit on the spot. It was promptly raise to 3%? (I don't remember was 11 years ago) before I left the conference room.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Good on you, GF. :cheers:

I doubt I'd quit on the spot, but I'd take 1% and go apply to as many places as possible and probably start really dragging my feet at work.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

My wages have been frozen for 4-5 years.  Given how the provincial economy has just been nuked from orbit, it'll probably stay frozen for awhile longer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

I've never received a single raise in my life. Maybe COL updates, but that's it.

Syt

In Austria we get at the very least inflation adjustment. In my company it's usually rounded up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.