News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Ankara European city?  :lmfao:
Some really good geography, I see.

dps

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 06, 2019, 07:55:37 AM

Honolulu isn't exactly a North American city, either.

Still, the maps do illustrate just how far north much of Europe is, compared to the US.  Athens is the only capital city on the European mainland that is further south than Washington, DC, and only barely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on July 06, 2019, 08:19:17 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 06, 2019, 07:55:37 AM

Honolulu isn't exactly a North American city, either.

Still, the maps do illustrate just how far north much of Europe is, compared to the US.  Athens is the only capital city on the European mainland that is further south than Washington, DC, and only barely.

Point taken. It should have been just US and Canadian cities because Mexican cities, belonging to the North American mainland (2/3 of it ast least) unlike Honolulu, are nowhere to be seen as well.
As for the "European" cities, Istanbul would have worked being on both sides of the Bosphorus.

The Brain

This alt-hist requires some significant rewriting of earlier eras to be plausible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

It looks like I am on the Mediterranean coast. As if my property taxes were not high enough already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEO7pddV9fk

Something I didn't know about Japan and Hiroshima.  According to this BBC clip, after Truman received news of a successful a bomb test, he broadcast a message to Japan that called for the unconditional surrender of the armed forces, not of the whole country, which in the BBC's telling left open the possibility of keeping the emperor. Japanese government interpreted this a sign of Allied weakness.

Eddie Teach

Japanese inflexibility turned out to be the greater weakness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2019, 08:03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEO7pddV9fk

Something I didn't know about Japan and Hiroshima.  According to this BBC clip, after Truman received news of a successful a bomb test, he broadcast a message to Japan that called for the unconditional surrender of the armed forces, not of the whole country, which in the BBC's telling left open the possibility of keeping the emperor. Japanese government interpreted this a sign of Allied weakness.

Grumbler's been telling us this for years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Unlike Truman I think demanding unconditional surrender (and not faux unconditional surrender) was good policy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I think I saw on TV news that Kevin Spacey's accuser (America singer dude) declined to testify and the case has been dropped. 

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2019, 07:39:30 PM
I think I saw on TV news that Kevin Spacey's accuser (America singer dude) declined to testify and the case has been dropped. 

Huh. Interesting considering his career has been pretty much left for dead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."