News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on June 29, 2019, 07:53:00 PM
this lead to the 1907 "Gentlemen's Agreement" that the Japanese government would restrict emigration to the US.

I think this agreement has broken down.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

I love how Canada is labelled "Barbarians" while at least Mexico gets to just be "Province of Mexico".

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 29, 2019, 07:53:00 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 29, 2019, 04:19:22 PM
Japonica? Wrong war, guys.

:secret:  None of the stuff on the map is real.  Racism against the Japanese was very prevalent in the Pacific West of the US from the 19th C on.  The 1894 treaty allowing unrestricted Japanese emigration to the US was greeted with hysteria in California.  In 1906 San Francisco barred Japanese students from attending schools with whites, and this lead to the 1907 "Gentlemen's Agreement" that the Japanese government would restrict emigration to the US.

See: https://history.state.gov/milestones/1899-1913/japanese-relations

Racism against Turks was not particularly prevalent since there were very few Turks in the US at the time yet Turkey is referenced.

The US is shown divided up between Germany, Austria, Turkey, and... Japan.

One of these is not like the others.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

And Bulgaria gets a walk.  Clearly pro-Bulgar bias at work.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2019, 02:10:19 AM
I love how Canada is labelled "Barbarians" while at least Mexico gets to just be "Province of Mexico".

Yeah, Mexico should be Austrian too, for Maximilian.

Josquius

It is strange Japan is there.
The Japanese army was heavily based off the German model, and its not like they were a very prominent member of the entente. Perhaps they were just tapping into pre-existing anti-Japanese racism to try and stir up previously non-existing anti-German hate?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2019, 04:21:33 PM
The Japanese army was heavily based off the German model, and its not like they were a very prominent member of the entente. Perhaps they were just tapping into pre-existing anti-Japanese racism to try and stir up previously non-existing anti-German hate?

I wonder why I didn't think of that.  Oh, wait...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Not every post has to be completely contrarian you know. You can build on what others said.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I think Tyr brought up an interesting point. ^_^
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I could be down with calling myself a Hindenberger :cool:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Full of hot air and ready to burst?
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2019, 04:21:33 PM

There was plenty of Anti-German hate in the US at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

There had been, for sure.  Most of it had died down in the decade or two preceding WWI, though.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2019, 03:49:55 PM
There had been, for sure.  Most of it had died down in the decade or two preceding WWI, though.

WWI definitely gave it a big shot in the arm!

There was a great deal of resentment and wringing of hands over German being the language spoken in so many towns and used in so many books and newspapers in the 19th century. It was used as evidence that the Germans were not going to assimilate.

By WWI I think they were starting to zero in on the Germans as the evil producers of demon alcohol that was making men violent and corrupting the poor though. But that might have been something prohibition latched on to during the war. I am not sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."