And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Happy Dominion Day, Canadians
Bonne Fête du Dominion, Habitants
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2019, 06:06:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2019, 03:49:55 PM
There had been, for sure.  Most of it had died down in the decade or two preceding WWI, though.

WWI definitely gave it a big shot in the arm!

There was a great deal of resentment and wringing of hands over German being the language spoken in so many towns and used in so many books and newspapers in the 19th century. It was used as evidence that the Germans were not going to assimilate.

By WWI I think they were starting to zero in on the Germans as the evil producers of demon alcohol that was making men violent and corrupting the poor though. But that might have been something prohibition latched on to during the war. I am not sure.

Jefferson City had a German language newspaper back in 1916.  It didn't in 1918.  I do remember reading that the major groups that opposed US entry into WW1 were German-Americans, Jewish-Americans, and Irish-Americans.  Jews and the Irish really weren't so keen on allying with Russia and Britain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I always found it rather interesting that support for the Allied War effort in Ireland itself was rather strong, at least in the first couple years since they got caught up in defending the rights of small nations (Serbia and Belgium in this case). While the Irish-Americans were far more anti-British.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Saladin

It kind of sucks when your dream job turns out to be
kind of crappy.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2019, 11:16:19 PM
I always found it rather interesting that support for the Allied War effort in Ireland itself was rather strong, at least in the first couple years since they got caught up in defending the rights of small nations (Serbia and Belgium in this case). While the Irish-Americans were far more anti-British.

It makes a nice story and it is certainly one you will find trumpeted from official sources.  But other historians are more inclined to think it had to do with getting three squares a day.

The Brain

Quote from: Saladin on July 02, 2019, 02:22:33 AM
kind of crappy.

are you callgirl inspector general
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

kind of crappy.

That's the thing about a dream job - it's still a job.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

kind of crappy.

Do you mind elaborating? What was it that turned out to be crappy?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

They're a bunch of sweethearts once you get past that rough surface :wub:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2019, 02:14:36 PM
They're a bunch of sweethearts once you get past that rough surface :wub:

Does that mean waiting for them to get drunk or waiting for them to sober up?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Saladin

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2019, 11:59:45 AM
kind of crappy.

That's the thing about a dream job - it's still a job.

I hear ya.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Saladin

Quote from: Habbaku on July 02, 2019, 01:37:11 PM
kind of crappy.

Do you mind elaborating? What was it that turned out to be crappy?

Well, to cut the story shortish.

They hired me because I have a particular set of skills and that they wanted somone based in the south of Sweden. The plan was for me to relocate to their head office a couple of months and then move back home and work very independently.

But now I'm only performing tasks I'm ill equipped for with minimal backing, the thing they hired me for is not even on the backburner, the move back home has been pushed back to "maybe" in late 2020 and a micromanaging boss.

So, I'm really homesick and don't really see a future where I'm allowed to work independently with the things I'm good at.

Admiral Yi

No offense homey, but as far as sucky ass jobs go that sounds pretty lame.