News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Remember the 80s D&D cartoon?

Renault in Brazil brings it back as LIVE ACTION for this car ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrp2nmfzxio

:wub: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Fun historical fact from otherwise shyte book:

Admiral Byng was famously shot "pour encourager les autres" during the War of the Spanish Succession for failing to relieve the siege of Port Mahon in Minorca.  To celebrate the successful siege the French (being French) created a new sauce and called it Mahonaise.  We now know it as Mayonnaise.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Thank you for your service to world cuisine, Admiral Byng.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2019, 10:44:36 AM
Fun historical fact from otherwise shyte book:

Admiral Byng was famously shot "pour encourager les autres" during the War of the Spanish Succession for failing to relieve the siege of Port Mahon in Minorca.  To celebrate the successful siege the French (being French) created a new sauce and called it Mahonaise.  We now know it as Mayonnaise.

If you want to add even more historical pedigree to the trivia piece, you can say that Mahón is named after Mago Barca, its alleged founder and younger brother of Hannibal.

It's not 100% clear if mayonnaise is actually named after Mahón, though.  :P

Barrister

Mayonnaise is such a simple recipe I find it hard to believe it was "invented" in the late 18th century.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2019, 11:10:10 AM
Mayonnaise is such a simple recipe I find it hard to believe it was "invented" in the late 18th century.

AFAIK there are indeed references to similar sauces from antiquity. Mayonnaise as such, or with that name, is found only from the 18th century onwards.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2019, 10:30:26 AM

Renault in Brazil brings it back as LIVE ACTION for this car ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrp2nmfzxio

Thank God, after so many episodes where they just miss the portal back home EVERY FUCKING TIME I finally get closure.  :thumbsup:

derspiess

I watched the cartoon because it came on after something else I watched, but I can't tell you what happened in a single episode.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 28, 2019, 01:21:08 PM
Thank God, after so many episodes where they just miss the portal back home EVERY FUCKING TIME I finally get closure.  :thumbsup:

Yep, I was glad they finally got the happy end they deserved.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 24, 2019, 07:59:06 PM

It is not entirely correct. It is not entirely wrong either. Just like if he said the Anglo-Saxons were a bunch of ultra-violent warlords. I mean that is not untrue but that is a very simplistic and misleading way to frame it. And he is very detailed and pro-Anglo-Saxon. So I could sense an anti-Norman thing coming. Now someday I will go back and check out my prediction, but while I expect a certain bias in my podcasts He was simplifies everything about the Romans and spins it in a negative light because he has a visceral dislike for them. Now there are many things to dislike about the Romans. They existed a long time ago with very different values than our own so it is not surprising he would dislike them. But dial it down a bit dude. You can have an anti-Roman bias and still tell a great history of Roman Britain. He just took it way beyond simply a bias. Him comparing Roman Britain to 19th century European African colonies was especially cringe-worthy.

I would like to know why you think it is cringe-worthy to compare the British empire and the Roman one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2019, 02:27:07 PM
I would like to know why you think it is cringe-worthy to compare the British empire and the Roman one.

It doesn't necessarily need to be. The way he did it was not very deep or thoughtful, just a throw-away line designed to provoke outrage by comparing it to something more recent. That was cringe-worthy.

Why? Are you doing a big study of Roman vs. British Imperial institutions and needed validation?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 28, 2019, 01:21:08 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2019, 10:30:26 AM

Many of my friends were raving and sharing it on FB these days. I also liked it...but shudder at what implies. That is, that if you're familiar with the cartoon, at this point in your life you should be thinking about buying a SUV fit for a family.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2019, 03:29:47 PM
Many of my friends were raving and sharing it on FB these days. I also liked it...but shudder at what implies. That is, that if you're familiar with the cartoon, at this point in your life you should be thinking about buying a SUV fit for a family.  :P

That show ran from 1983-1985.  If you're old enough to remember it why wouldn't you already have a family-sized vehicle? :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2019, 03:00:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 28, 2019, 02:27:07 PM

It doesn't necessarily need to be. The way he did it was not very deep or thoughtful, just a throw-away line designed to provoke outrage by comparing it to something more recent. That was cringe-worthy.

Why? Are you doing a big study of Roman vs. British Imperial institutions and needed validation?

Not since college.  Who is supposed to be outraged in this scenario?  The British, the Romans or the Africans?  Personally, I think the myth of the civilizing Romans bringing enlightenment to the peoples of the world is bullshit.  Harmful bullshit.  The British were much nicer overlords than the Romans were.  I mean, the Romans inadvertently created the world's largest religion because of their habit of nailing people to pieces of wood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017