News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, well, it's still a competitive shooter at the end of the day. It has a stylized look, it is relatively cheap to play (base game free, and regular "seasons" roughly every 2 months at $15, so you can pay for it with pocket money), is fast, with rounds not lasting too long. Additionally, you can play it on your phone, so you're not bound to a static PC or console. All reasons why it has taken off like this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on April 05, 2019, 01:40:57 AM
At risk of sounding like a Conservative. Minecraft was a lot more wholesome too.
I've heard tales from people with kids about how fortnight has them behaving....

If a game has more influence on a child's behavior than the parents, I'd blame the parents, not the game.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on April 05, 2019, 07:39:51 AM
If a game has more influence on a child's behavior than the parents, I'd blame the parents, not the game.

Well of course, I am well aware no matter what I do somebody out there thinks I am a monster for how I raise my kids.

In any case it is usually not so much the game itself as the influence the game has on their peer group. The other kids are always going to influence your kid a great deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 08:27:48 AM

Well of course, I am well aware no matter what I do somebody out there thinks I am a monster for how I raise my kids.

Heh I remember when I first realized this.

Parents attract scorn and distain for basically every decision they make from someone or other ... it is liberating when you realize this, and so no longer take it personally.  :D

But yeah, it is amusing to see how much people think that parents can control how their kids turn out. It's like no-one remembers what influenced them when they were kids.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I just want to add that my kids do not and have never played Fortnite...yet they are still influenced by the game. And I mean not in a major way but the characters in the game do dances when they win or something and all the kids do those dances. Stuff like that. It is kind of a cultural force down at the Elementary School.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 08:42:15 AM
I just want to add that my kids do not and have never played Fortnite...yet they are still influenced by the game. And I mean not in a major way but the characters in the game do dances when they win or something and all the kids do those dances. Stuff like that. It is kind of a cultural force down at the Elementary School.

Yes, while they have shown no interest into playing the game. My kids loved the fortnite action figure we saw at walmart. Plus, they have a 14 year old cousin who mainly just talks about fornite.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

My kid's now old enough to have a circle of friends who consider it a mark of distinction to poke fun at the prevailing children's culture. 

But yeah, you can't really escape the culture you are in. Unless you go the whole joining-a-cult route.  ;) 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

One thing that kids do these days that is odd to an old fellow like me - they all, nearly without exception, watch videos of other people playing computer games and talking about stuff while they play.  :huh:

I mean, it's logical enough - the kid points out that watching people play sports is big business, so why not watch people play games? But it just strikes me as weird: I mean, the barriers to actually playing computer games oneself are pretty low, a lot lower than playing team sports.

derspiess

Pretty fascinating to observe these cultural (micro-cultural?) forces at that level.  The new thing for my son and his group is quoting Austin Powers movies.  They're also hugely into silly Vine memes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Depends on the game, but I watch streamers as well as a form of passive entertainment and to up my game a bit. If the best people play a certain way, there's a reason behind it--and I want to find out what that is.

Even the Patriots watch their opponents play rather than just practice all the time.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2019, 09:00:49 AM
One thing that kids do these days that is odd to an old fellow like me - they all, nearly without exception, watch videos of other people playing computer games and talking about stuff while they play.  :huh:

I mean, it's logical enough - the kid points out that watching people play sports is big business, so why not watch people play games? But it just strikes me as weird: I mean, the barriers to actually playing computer games oneself are pretty low, a lot lower than playing team sports.

We had a hellish couple of years where DanTDM's voice was constantly droning throughout our house :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on April 05, 2019, 09:03:17 AM
Depends on the game, but I watch streamers as well as a form of passive entertainment and to up my game a bit. If the best people play a certain way, there's a reason behind it--and I want to find out what that is.

Even the Patriots watch their opponents play rather than just practice all the time.  :P

Have you been around kids recently?  Some of them watch other people playing games way more than actually playing the game.  It is an odd phenomenon.

Malthus

A lot of these kids though watch people play games they, the kids, don't actually play. They don't even want to play them personally. Just watch others do it.

Valmy

The funny part is it actually started with my kids when they were toddlers. They started watching videos of people playing with toys instead of, you know, actually playing with toys. It has seamlessly transitioned into watching people play games instead of playing the games.

Tamas

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2019, 09:08:44 AM

A lot of these kids though watch people play games they, the kids, don't actually play. They don't even want to play them personally. Just watch others do it.

For me it is a puzzling phenomenom for sure but perhaps simply there is more of an "infrastructure" now for it, than it used to be. e.g. my wife mentioned who she used to enjoy watching her cousins play computer games, even the ones she had no intention of playing herself. For me it'd be the exact opposite - even the thought of watching others play games puts me to sleep. The only exceptions are watching Lets Plays to make a purchasing decision, or as Habs to study for multiplayer. Although the only time I have done the latter was when I returned to World of Tanks after a long hiatus and wanted to refresh.