Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:48:25 AM
But who cares if you're good or not.

Well it is more fun when you are good.

Well sure.

But it's like pizza or sex - when you're good it's amazing, and when you're bad it's still pretty good.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Not if it involves olives and anchovies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 11:10:00 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:48:25 AM
But who cares if you're good or not.

Well it is more fun when you are good.

Well sure.

But it's like pizza or sex - when you're good it's amazing, and when you're bad it's still pretty good.

#straightculture
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Example - a streamer I follow is just starting to play this game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/976920/Dance_of_Death_Du_Lac__Fey/

I would never buy this, but this could be very amusing. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 11:01:11 AM
However there is one thing I absolutely forbid: buying micro-transactions in games. You freaking play the game to get stuff, don't come crying to me you need 5 bucks for virtual currency, sir! That is where my grumpy old man triumphs.

Ditto.  Too bad my wife isn't on the same page :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 11:09:02 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:50:11 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:34:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:25:43 AM
I enjoy way more watching NHL hockey than playing hockey.

No way man.  I like watching hockey quite a bit.  But I'll take playing hockey over watching it any day.

That's ok but surely there are other sports that you enjoy watching more than playing. Baseball, maybe?

Let's see... I probably don't have the skills to play actual baseball.  But I've played slow-pitch softball in the past, and that's definitely more fun than watching a baseball game.  Curling or golf... I don't even like watching those on TV, but enjoy playing them.  Football... for safety reasons I'd never play contact football, and I haven't played touch or flag football since I was a kid, but again I bet that'd be more fun than watching on tv.

You are real sports person!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 11:31:31 AM
You are real sports person!

:lol:

First time anyone has ever said that to me!

I'm really not.  I'm pretty bad at all sports (well I think I'm half-decent at curling, but that's it).  I'm definitely not all that athletic.  I wish I could play a bit more, but the time pressures are real.

It's just that playing sports is, I think undeniably, lots of fun.

The Larch

Another possible comparison, cooking shows.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on April 05, 2019, 12:01:13 PM
Another possible comparison, cooking shows.

I may be alone on this, but I like to cook, and I do like to watch cooking shows from time to time.

But cooking yourself is much more fun than watching a cooking show.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2019, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2019, 10:40:02 AM
On the other hand - anyone can play computer games. They are designed so that the average person can play them and have fun.

Very much depends on the game, though. A lot of people give up on games like Dark Souls, Cuphead, or Sekiro. Some people like the *idea* of playing a game (say, Dwarf Fortress, or CK2), but don't want to spend the energy to learn them (or watch other players to learn). And even with games you can play and have fun, watching someone at the upper end of the skill curve play can be interesting in and of itself.

A different example: how many people watch Bob Ross with the intention to learn to paint, and how many watch to see him do his thing and spread positive vibes? I think streaming is VERY similar in that regard. :)

Sure, it all makes sense. The grumpy old dude in me finds the passivity of it all a bit disheartening, though.

It just seems one more step away from actually doing anything for oneself.

Not that playing a computer game is really all that "active", but watching someone else play it is even less!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Chicago style sex is the worst. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Worst part of it is how it creates more Chicagoans :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:50:11 AM
That's ok but surely there are other sports that you enjoy watching more than playing. Baseball, maybe?

I can't think of a single sport that I'd rather watch than play myself.  Football I love watching, but if I could find a bunch of guys near my skill level who'd be willing to play tackle football, I rather do that than watch a game on TV (I have no interest in playing flag or touch football, which given my age, I probably should be willing to do if I'm ever going to get to play again).  Pretty much the same goes for soccer or baseball.  Basketball I enjoy playing, but have almost no interest in watching.  Other team sports I'm really not interested in much either way.  Outside of team sports, I enjoy tennis but if anything, I have even less interest in watching it than tennis.  I don't golf, though I do watch golf some, but I'd like to be able to play, and if I could, I'd certainly rather do it than watch (I don't golf because with my income, I can't justify the expense of clubs or green fees).  I enjoy bowling, but I have zero interest in watching it.

With video or computer games, I watch videos to find out if the game is one I'd be interested in playing, or to learn how to play a game better than I already do.  I can't see myself watching a video of someone playing a game I'm not interested in playing.

celedhring

If I'm a penniless college student in London, where will I end up living?

Eddie Teach

Do they have overpasses?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?