News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

This looks like a cutscene from a 90s RTS, like C&C.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2019, 10:58:00 AM
This looks like a cutscene from a 90s RTS, like C&C.

Did he just declare himself Lord Protector of the Commowealth?  :lol:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on April 06, 2019, 08:52:52 AM

I'm above the average for my industry but I still drink less than a serviceman  :hmm:

This "consumed alcohol" that's British style, right? So binge drinking. Seems fair for the Brits, with Fridays, Saturdays and some Sundays all year-long. Plus the occasional holiday mass-drinking. :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 08, 2019, 11:16:02 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 06, 2019, 08:52:52 AM

I'm above the average for my industry but I still drink less than a serviceman  :hmm:

This "consumed alcohol" that's British style, right? So binge drinking. Seems fair for the Brits, with Fridays, Saturdays and some Sundays all year-long. Plus the occasional holiday mass-drinking. :hmm:

Yeah, East Europeans all think they drink a lot but they have nothing on the Brits. Well, since the fall of communism at least.

Anyways, point is, I would not concern myself with British-made alcohol-consumption statistics if you are abroad.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2019, 11:26:38 AM
Anyways, point is, I would not concern myself with British-made alcohol-consumption statistics if you are abroad.

Indeed, especially as the only "data" we have is an unsourced image in an online discussion group.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

If people working in restaurants only drink 77 times a year, it is because they are only working 77 days of the year - or they are only working the brunch/lunch shift.

garbon

Brunch without alcohol?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

The Vienna City Funeral Services run the Funeral Museum in Vienna, too. They honor the Viennese tradition of morbidity when it comes to death, and there's the old saying of how the most important thing is to be "a schene Leich" - a beautiful corpse.

Examples from the museum gift shop:

Fridge magnet:

"Vienna is the nicest place to die."

Cigarette case:

"Smoking secures jobs."

They also sell custom LEGO sets:

The tram that transported coffins along line 71 to the Zentralfriedhof (highly recommended for walks - it's a beautiful nature preserve). It operated from WW1 through the end of WW2. "Taking the 71" is still occasionally used as slang for dying.

A horse drawn hearse.

A retro hearse. Presumably from the 50s/60s?

A crematory oven.

Figurine set of mourning family, two bodies (male & female) and a skeleton.

You can see their full LEGO collection here: https://shop.bestattungsmuseum.at/lego-bestattung/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Reminds me of Christoph Waltz's appearance on Colbert. Colbert to his credit adapted to his guest, but the audience seemed to be utterly lost when Waltz waxed about morbid thoughts.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on April 09, 2019, 06:57:02 AM
Reminds me of Christoph Waltz's appearance on Colbert. Colbert to his credit adapted to his guest, but the audience seemed to be utterly lost when Waltz waxed about morbid thoughts.

That was a good interview. It was a very old fashioned Viennese attitude, especially the thing about the dive bar of which not many exist any more.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

This is super cool and a long time in the making - images from the Event Horizon Telescope are going to be released tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/opinion/black-hole.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Caliga

Really looking forward to it.  :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2019, 11:21:46 AM
This is super cool and a long time in the making - images from the Event Horizon Telescope are going to be released tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/opinion/black-hole.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Some here should come up with a suitably witty H2G2 reference, ideally involving impossibly black sleek spacecraft.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"