News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I do watch streamers who play games I wouldn't or couldn't play, though I primarily watch older, smaller streamers who can interact with their chat in a meaningful way. There's a whole niche for retro games - C64, DOS, old consoles from NES to PS2 - and it can be interesting to see someone play and experience a game that passed you by at the time. Alternatively, it can satisfy a nostalgic yearning. I don't think that it's a coincidence that Morrowind was my most watched stream when I was very active.

Also, remember playing a game like Dark Souls or System Shock for the first time? You can relive that vicariously through streamers who play a game for the first time.

I also like to see what a game is about that I don't have any interest to play. There were a few channels for a more mature audience that played PUBG when it was hot, and I enjoyed having them on in the background while doing something else, but I had no interesting in playing the game myself. The gameplay was entertaining, but not for me.

When I was more actively streaming myself, part of it was recapturing the feeling of playing a game together with friends in front of one machine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 09:13:57 AM
The funny part is it actually started with my kids when they were toddlers. They started watching videos of people playing with toys instead of, you know, actually playing with toys. It has seamlessly transitioned into watching people play games instead of playing the games.

That one I kind of get-- at least the toy unboxing videos.  Has to be mind-blowing for a kid to watch super-spoiled kids open 20 new toys each video.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

This is a big part of why I interested my kid in camping, canoeing, sailing, etc.

In children's culture, it's like they can't divorce themselves from real experience enough. I mean, playing video games is already at one remove from real, physical experience. Now they aren't even playing the games, just watching other people do so!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

The only let's play I've watched thoroughly (besides just checking how a game plays or looks) is Cuphead. I loved how it looked and I wanted to see all stages and bosses, while avoiding the impossible gameplay.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2019, 09:07:09 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 05, 2019, 09:03:17 AM
Depends on the game, but I watch streamers as well as a form of passive entertainment and to up my game a bit. If the best people play a certain way, there's a reason behind it--and I want to find out what that is.

Even the Patriots watch their opponents play rather than just practice all the time.  :P

Have you been around kids recently?  Some of them watch other people playing games way more than actually playing the game.  It is an odd phenomenon.

Odd?

I watch sports, all sports. You put Australian rules football on the TV, I'm watching it. I have no interest into playing that game.

I watch Shroud play Apex Legends at a level akin to Ovechkin playing Hockey. I watching him too. I suck at both hockey & Apex. I enjoy way more watching NHL hockey than playing hockey.

Last night I watch Timthetatman playing Monopoly for 2 hours, it was entertaining. I really don't like playing Monopoly irl.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:25:43 AM
I enjoy way more watching NHL hockey than playing hockey.

No way man.  I like watching hockey quite a bit.  But I'll take playing hockey over watching it any day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I wish to God I had the eye-hand coordination and the time to play sports. I really enjoy it. I consider my time on my college intramural soccer and softball teams to be golden. But damn I sucked ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Odd?

I watch sports, all sports. You put Australian rules football on the TV, I'm watching it. I have no interest into playing that game.

I watch Shroud play Apex Legends at a level akin to Ovechkin playing Hockey. I watching him too. I suck at both hockey & Apex. I enjoy way more watching NHL hockey than playing hockey.

Last night I watch Timthetatman playing Monopoly for 2 hours, it was entertaining. I really don't like playing Monopoly irl.

My kid made the exact same analogy to me: "people watch sports they don't play all the time - why not games?".

I think the difference is that it is difficult to even have the opportunity to play team sports, even badly (you need to organize teams, for one). Also, lots of people can't play them at all. It takes lots of effort to (say) have fun playing ice hockey.   

On the other hand - anyone can play computer games. They are designed so that the average person can play them and have fun.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I don't think "wanting to do it yourself" is the main driving force behind people watching sports, and I don't think computer games have to be different.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:39:17 AM
I wish to God I had the eye-hand coordination and the time to play sports. I really enjoy it. I consider my time on my college intramural soccer and softball teams to be golden. But damn I sucked ass.

Time I can't help ya with.

But who cares if you're good or not.  I'll tell you I'm no good at hockey.  17 games in to the season I finally registered my first point - a lousy assist in a losing game.  But who cares - it's too much fun.

I think soccer can be kind of competitive, but surely you could find a beer league slow pitch team if you wanted to.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:34:39 AM

No way man.  I like watching hockey quite a bit.  But I'll take playing hockey over watching it any day.

That's ok but surely there are other sports that you enjoy watching more than playing. Baseball, maybe?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2019, 10:40:02 AM
On the other hand - anyone can play computer games. They are designed so that the average person can play them and have fun.

Very much depends on the game, though. A lot of people give up on games like Dark Souls, Cuphead, or Sekiro. Some people like the *idea* of playing a game (say, Dwarf Fortress, or CK2), but don't want to spend the energy to learn them (or watch other players to learn). And even with games you can play and have fun, watching someone at the upper end of the skill curve play can be interesting in and of itself.

A different example: how many people watch Bob Ross with the intention to learn to paint, and how many watch to see him do his thing and spread positive vibes? I think streaming is VERY similar in that regard. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:48:25 AM
But who cares if you're good or not.

Well it is more fun when you are good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 05, 2019, 10:50:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2019, 10:40:02 AM

Very much depends on the game, though. A lot of people give up on games like Dark Souls, Cuphead, or Sekiro. Some people like the *idea* of playing a game (say, Dwarf Fortress, or CK2), but don't want to spend the energy to learn them (or watch other players to learn). And even with games you can play and have fun, watching someone at the upper end of the skill curve play can be interesting in and of itself.

A different example: how many people watch Bob Ross with the intention to learn to paint, and how many watch to see him do his thing and spread positive vibes? I think streaming is VERY similar in that regard. :)

When I was a kid I played every thing because that was just what was available for me. Being able to watch really good people play just wasn't something I could do or even thought about doing so it is kind of hard for me to relate. I wonder what it would have been like playing Metroid or Mario Brothers knowing that somebody out there could beat those games in like 15 minutes and I could just hop online and see them do it. Would I still have had fun playing those games knowing how shitty I actually was at them? No idea. I mean I really thought I was good at Metroid.

It is just something different kids today have that I didn't.

However there is one thing I absolutely forbid: buying micro-transactions in games. You freaking play the game to get stuff, don't come crying to me you need 5 bucks for virtual currency, sir! That is where my grumpy old man triumphs.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:50:11 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 10:34:39 AM

That's ok but surely there are other sports that you enjoy watching more than playing. Baseball, maybe?

Let's see... I probably don't have the skills to play actual baseball.  But I've played slow-pitch softball in the past, and that's definitely more fun than watching a baseball game.  Curling or golf... I don't even like watching those on TV, but enjoy playing them.  Football... for safety reasons I'd never play contact football, and I haven't played touch or flag football since I was a kid, but again I bet that'd be more fun than watching on tv.