And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2018, 09:34:00 AM
If you've ever wondered why there's always spillage residue on the ground, there you go.

I have yet to see a "trained" attendant do a better job.  It's a combination make-wirk program and pandering to Jersey Princesses.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 09, 2018, 02:24:52 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2018, 09:34:00 AM
If you've ever wondered why there's always spillage residue on the ground, there you go.

I have yet to see a "trained" attendant do a better job.  It's a combination make-wirk program and pandering to Jersey Princesses.

Than the woman who doesn't even put the nozzle in the car? I'd hope they at least managed that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

derspiess

For the fifth time in six months, the cleaning lady texted my wife to tell her our dryer is broken (I've become convinced that the clothes dryer is the arch-nemesis of the Guatemalan).  And of course the wife takes that news uncritically and relays it to me in a panic.  Shocking that setting it for 10 minutes on fluff does not dry all those towels :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Chief Justice John Roberts may seem like a stiff suit, but he did deploy the first known Ferris Bueller reference in oral argument yesterday:

Quote. . .you seem to be treating that the same as the situation when you have the motorcycle or an automobile, but I thought part of your argument was that the automobiles were inherently different because somebody could just jump on the motorcycle and ride away . . . Now, are you arguing -- do you -- does your argument extend to immobile items in the 
carport because it's curtilage rather than the house, or is it limited to the mobility that's characterized the automobile exception? 

MR. COX:  Yes.  The automobile exception is just that.  It's an exception on very circumscribed terms -­

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS:  And then the problem with that, of course, is, we've said, the curtilage is like the house and -- maybe you would.  I mean, if you have an automobile 
in the house, which is not, you know, Jay  Leno's house, right, where he's got dozens of  rare cars or -- or the Porsche in Ferris Bueller . . . you can just go in because it's mobile and 
they got it in there somehow; they can get it out? 

(Yes he got the car wrong)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2018, 12:30:13 PM
For the fifth time in six months, the cleaning lady texted my wife to tell her our dryer is broken (I've become convinced that the clothes dryer is the arch-nemesis of the Guatemalan).  And of course the wife takes that news uncritically and relays it to me in a panic.  Shocking that setting it for 10 minutes on fluff does not dry all those towels :rolleyes:

My gf hates our newer dryer (bought in 2014) and complains it doesn't work as drying clothes because she always uses the drying cycle that "senses" when clothes are dry and they aren't to her satisfaction. (seems dry to me, not to mention how it is on towels and heavy duty fabric she complains about) So she hates it that i just use the timed dry cycle and never have issues with dryer.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I wish I had a washing machine in my flat. Tomorrow will be the first time in 3 weeks I've been able to wash :(
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on January 10, 2018, 01:53:41 PM
I wish I had a washing machine in my flat. Tomorrow will be the first time in 3 weeks I've been able to wash :(

I'm sure the others in your office wish that you'd shower more often.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2018, 12:30:13 PM

The great outdoors perhaps?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Weather allowing, I much prefer to hang the clothes out on the line.  Though our clothes line broke, and I haven't replaced it yet, not that the weather is favorable for hanging the wash out right now anyway.

Maladict

The Minsky Moment

Just shows that despite the America First rhetoric, the Trump administration is generous enough to provide our valued allies with the ability to experience first hand the inanity of his administration, if only by proxy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson