News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: HVC on January 03, 2018, 04:50:55 PM
have you ever tried to confront a woman from new jersey? it doesn't end well. and she has a flammable liquid!

:ccr:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

have you ever tried to confront a woman from new jersey? it doesn't end well. and she has a flammable liquid!

:lol:

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 03, 2018, 04:43:53 PM

Someone thought it would be a good idea to take the time to pull out their phone and take the picture rather than immediately stopping her?

Stop her?  Heck, if I smoked, I'd be tempted to flick a lit cigarette at her.  Tempted, but I wouldn't actually do it. 

What I would do instead of taking a pic would be get as far away from her as quickly as possible.

grumbler

Liquid gasoline isn't flammable. :nerd:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on January 03, 2018, 08:09:38 PM

Liquid gasoline isn't flammable. :nerd:

But a petrol vapour air mix is. :nerd:

Grey Fox

What I love about the modern world is that I can pump my own gas & I don't even have to talk to any employees.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 03, 2018, 08:49:43 PM
What I love about the modern world is that I can pump my own gas & I don't even have to talk to any employees.

Some people probably say the same thing about you.   :P

Grey Fox

It's fair, I am not a nice customer.

Malthus

Completely random factoid:

The oldest known recorded fingerprint (that I've heard of) is found on the "Venus of Dolni Vestonice". The Venus of Dolni Vestonice dates to between 29 000BP – 25 000BP, and "A tomograph scan in 2004 revealed the fingerprint of a child aged between 7 and 15 fired into the clay ...".

https://australianmuseum.net.au/image/the-venus-of-dolni-vstonice

Here's an article on the fingerprint (PDF): http://puvodni.mzm.cz/Anthropologie/downloads/articles/2002/Kralik_2002_p107-113.pdf

The oldest actual fingerprint may belong to the Tollund Man, one of the "bog people" (around 2,400 BP):

http://www.tollundman.dk/fingeraftryk.asp
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Speaking of cars, we are looking into getting a 2nd car, used of course.

I am eyeing a 2006 Honda Jazz. Automatic, because screw crawling during rush hour with a clutch. Any experiences with it?

Or with similarly aged Nissan Note? Or a Yaris?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2018, 12:08:57 PM

I am eyeing a 2006 Honda Jazz. Automatic, because screw crawling during rush hour with a clutch. Any experiences with it?

Go electric!  I use about 20 kwh/ 100 km.  I pay a little over 8 cents per kwh to recharge at home - free recharge at work (which I use most of the time)

The car is basically free to drive after the initial purchase price.  It is maintenance free.

Barrister

*quick googling* - Ah, it's known as the Honda Fit over here.  I think it's well-regarded.

Just a thought though - about a year and a half ago we bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey, in large part because of Honda's known reliability.  But we've had to sink a few thousand in repairs into it: timing belt, alternator, wheel bearings, O2 sensor.  No matter how good a car stuff starts breaking down after 10+ years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

:cool:

Just what the South-East needs, another car stuck in traffic.

Jacob

Yeah, the people I know who've driven the Honda Fit were pretty happy with it.

Grey Fox

I have a co-worker who's very into his Nissan Versa Note. Might be too new for your budget tho.

I want to go either the CC way or the Seedy way. Buy electric or a buy a Jeep Wrangler. :unsure: