Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on January 10, 2018, 03:26:03 PM
The new US ambassador arrived today. Thanks America  :lol:

https://twitter.com/RGjournalist/status/951102206325002240/video/1

I think we have been a bit more lucky. But then I haven't heard her say anything yet, only read a review of her acting in 'Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell'.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on January 10, 2018, 04:05:28 PM
I think we have been a bit more lucky. But then I haven't heard her say anything yet, only read a review of her acting in 'Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell'.

Was it as good as her stint on the 'Bold and the Beautiful'?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Our ambassador from the US is a big donor to Trump, but she sounds like a more mainstream republican type.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/why-kelly-knight-craft-was-made-u-s-ambassador-to-canada/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Is that prince the one who was in the riding mower race?

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2018, 04:11:25 PM

Don't really know that show, looking at the photos though how would you tell her apart from the other blondes? :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2018, 04:13:11 PM
Is that prince the one who was in the riding mower race?

I doubt it.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on January 10, 2018, 04:14:16 PM
Don't really know that show, looking at the photos though how would you tell her apart from the other blondes? :huh:

You can't. That just shows her amazing acting ability.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2018, 04:12:26 PM
Our ambassador from the US is a big donor to Trump, but she sounds like a more mainstream republican type.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/why-kelly-knight-craft-was-made-u-s-ambassador-to-canada/

Some people just always donate to their chosen party regardless of what doofus is running. She is probably fine.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2018, 04:54:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2018, 04:12:26 PM

Some people just always donate to their chosen party regardless of what doofus is running. She is probably fine.

From the article she initially supported Rubio, but switched to Trump after he promised not to try and get rid of fellow Kentuckian Mitch McConnell.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

The US Ambassador to Canada is usually a big party donor, R or D.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2018, 05:01:33 PM
From the article she initially supported Rubio, but switched to Trump after he promised not to try and get rid of fellow Kentuckian Mitch McConnell.

Pretty sure the President lacks the authority to fire Senators.

Eddie Teach

He's kind of hedged on that promise anyway, at times trying to undermine McConnell as majority leader.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2018, 04:11:25 PM

Scantily clad sword and sorcery, Corman-style, certainly beats soap operas. :contract:

celedhring

Nice one.

Gay spouses have rights in all EU countries, says European court adviser
Even countries whose governments oppose same-sex marriage must recognise rights, according to advocate general

The rights of same-sex spouses must be recognised by every member of the EU, even if a country's government has not authorised gay marriage, the European court of justice has been advised.

In what has been hailed as a major step forward for equal rights, Melchior Wathelet, a Belgian advocate general in the Luxembourg court, said gay spouses had standing in countries even where governments were implacably opposed to same-sex marriage.

Opinions given by ECJ advocate generals are non-binding on the court's judges but are normally followed by the full court. A final decision will be delivered in the coming months.

Wathelet's opinion was given in the case of a Romanian national, Adrian Coman, who wanted to be able to build a life in Romania with his American husband, Claibourn Robert Hamilton, with whom he had been living for four years in the US before marrying in Brussels in 2010.

Romania prohibits marriage between people of the same sex. It is one of six EU member states, along with Poland, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Lithuania and Latvia, that offer no legal recognition for same-sex relationships.

The Romanian authorities refused to grant a right of residence on the grounds that Hamilton could not be classified in Romania as the spouse of an EU citizen. The men appealed to Romania's constitutional court, which referred it to Luxembourg.

Giving his opinion, Wathelet said governments may not impede the freedom of residence of an EU citizen by refusing to grant his or her spouse, who is a national of a non-EU country, a right of permanent residence in their territory. He explained that EU law was neutral on the gender of a spouse.

A directive on the EU's freedom of movement principle in 2004 grants rights to an EU citizen's spouse, without specifying how spouse is defined.

The ECJ's judgment when it comes could have wider repercussions for the range of benefits and rights that may be claimed by those in same-sex marriages by ensuring that the term spouse is gender neutral in law.

Wathelet told the court that the EU gave spouses of EU nationals the right to live and work in the bloc. It only defined spouse with reference to a relationship based on marriage and was neutral both as to the sex of the persons concerned and the place where that marriage was contracted.

It was his opinion that "in view of the general evolution of the societies of the member states of the EU in the last decade in the area of authorisation of same-sex marriage" it was no longer appropriate to follow the case law definition of marriage as "a union between two persons of the opposite sex".

The Dutch MEP Sophie in 't Veld said: "This is fantastic news and a landmark opinion for rainbow families. Freedom of movement is a right of all EU citizens; it cannot be restricted because of whom they love. The European Union protects our rights."

Hope the Court follows this opinion, and it eventually gets expanded to other spousal rights.

Also:

Romania prohibits marriage between people of the same sex. It is one of six EU member states, along with Poland, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Lithuania and Latvia, that offer no legal recognition for same-sex relationships.

Eastern Europe is our Deep South.  :hmm:

Malthus

I truly wish I got some of these cards for the holidays!  :lmfao:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34988154
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius