News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Ricky Martin married a Swede? Why am I always the last to know these things?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2018, 04:46:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2018, 01:34:57 PM
I truly wish I got some of these cards for the holidays!  :lmfao:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34988154

Nice. :)

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" quite like one frog murdering another.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2018, 05:07:07 PM

Spoken like an Englishman.

Eddie Teach

I have quit the Seedy Don't Quit thread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2018, 09:56:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2018, 05:07:07 PM

Spoken like an Englishman.

Well, it was an English Christmas card ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

All that card artwork makes total sense if you compare them to some of today's internet memes. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

"Her majesty has to go around in a gold carriage of course, because of her terrible uber rating."  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

BuddhaRhubarb

dead on languish tonight. is languish dying/ oh gosh i forgot how good it feels to write that.  :P
:p

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2018, 03:22:13 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on January 13, 2018, 09:08:29 PM
dead on languish tonight. is languish dying/ oh gosh i forgot how good it feels to write that.  :P

Yeah it died a while back, welcome to necrophilia.  ;)

As people get older they get lives.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Don't you just love modern day bullshit:

In a statement Pegasus Airlines said the plane "had a runway excursion incident" as it landed at Trabzon.

The Brain

OMG are the Byzanteens OK?

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2018, 05:34:35 PM
Don't you just love modern day bullshit:

In a statement Pegasus Airlines said the plane "had a runway excursion incident" as it landed at Trabzon.

I've been studying too much Orwell lately.  :sleep:

QuoteIn our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of the political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness. Defenceless villages are bombarded from the air, the inhabitants driven out into the countryside, the cattle machine-gunned, the huts set on fire with incendiary bullets: this is called pacification. Millions of peasants are robbed of their farms and sent trudging along the roads with no more than they can carry: this is called transfer of population or rectification of frontiers. People are imprisoned for years without trial, or shot in the back of the neck or sent to die of scurvy in Arctic lumber camps: this is called elimination of unreliable elements. Such phraseology is needed if one wants to name things without calling up mental pictures of them. Consider for instance some comfortable English professor defending Russian totalitarianism. He cannot say outright, 'I believe in killing off your opponents when you can get good results by doing so'. Probably, therefore, he will say something like this:

'While freely conceding that the Soviet regime exhibits certain features which the humanitarian may be inclined to deplore, we must, I think, agree that a certain curtailment of the right to political opposition is an unavoidable concomitant of transitional periods, and that the rigors which the Russian people have been called upon to undergo have been amply justified in the sphere of concrete achievement.'

The inflated style itself is a kind of euphemism. A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 14, 2018, 07:02:26 PM

I've been studying too much Orwell lately.  :sleep:

QuoteIn our time, political speech and writing are largely the defence of the indefensible. Things like the continuance of British rule in India, the Russian purges and deportations, the dropping of the atom bombs on Japan, can indeed be defended, but only by arguments which are too brutal for most people to face, and which do not square with the professed aims of the political parties. Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness. Defenceless villages are bombarded from the air, the inhabitants driven out into the countryside, the cattle machine-gunned, the huts set on fire with incendiary bullets: this is called pacification. Millions of peasants are robbed of their farms and sent trudging along the roads with no more than they can carry: this is called transfer of population or rectification of frontiers. People are imprisoned for years without trial, or shot in the back of the neck or sent to die of scurvy in Arctic lumber camps: this is called elimination of unreliable elements. Such phraseology is needed if one wants to name things without calling up mental pictures of them. Consider for instance some comfortable English professor defending Russian totalitarianism. He cannot say outright, 'I believe in killing off your opponents when you can get good results by doing so'. Probably, therefore, he will say something like this:

'While freely conceding that the Soviet regime exhibits certain features which the humanitarian may be inclined to deplore, we must, I think, agree that a certain curtailment of the right to political opposition is an unavoidable concomitant of transitional periods, and that the rigors which the Russian people have been called upon to undergo have been amply justified in the sphere of concrete achievement.'

The inflated style itself is a kind of euphemism. A mass of Latin words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outline and covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is insincerity.

Ton. thanks for that, I'd not seen those brilliant couple of sentences before.