And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 06:23:37 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:06:02 PM
By asking a single question in curiosity. It's a term I've never heard before in reference to eating a meal. OH MAN LET'S PANIC

I don't know why your ignorance is particularly noteworthy nor why you want to share it with the class.

It's a discussion board. For discussing things. You don't have to respond to every post, nor be rude when people ask questions.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
By asking a single question in curiosity. It's a term I've never heard before in reference to eating a meal. OH MAN LET'S PANIC

I don't know why your ignorance is particularly noteworthy nor why you want to share it with the class.

It's a discussion board. For discussing things. You don't have to respond to every post, nor be rude when people ask questions.

I wasn't being rude.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:24:37 PM
In the torrent of madness that comes out of Trump on a daily basis, that one slipped by me.

Seems like it's been months since he even mentioned it. Does quietly letting people forget it under a flood of other idiocies count as giving it up?

That's why you get a scorecard, so you don't miss any action.

He said that a couple days after inauguration.  I certainly think it counts as giving up but that frostback shyster just keeps filing stays.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:17:24 PM
"Bieber bets me 10 quatloos even Trump will not pull his password proposal.  Hey Beeb, fucking concede this bet already."

I don't even remember this bet, Yi. What's the deal?

Yeah, I#ve been meaning to ask about that.

What was our bet, and what was the termsÉÉÉ

Fucking multilingual settings on the keyboard... <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Trump said anyone entering the US should have to surrender their electronic device passwords.

grumbler

Wait, have you dropped the facade of "I'm not the one being rude?"

Oh, wait.  I see below that you haven't.  You went Full Yi.  Never go Full Yi, dude.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2017, 07:57:36 PM
Trump said anyone entering the US should have to surrender their electronic device passwords.

But what was the bet, and what were the terms?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2017, 11:31:34 PM
But what was the bet, and what were the terms?

"Bieber bets me 10 quatloos even Trump will not pull his password proposal."

FYI, I keep all open bets in my...profile thing at the bottom thing.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 05:42:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2017, 05:28:23 PM
And here I thought tea was a beverage  :Embarrass:

Well it also is.

So if I ask for some tea will I be brought some chicken and a side salad? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2017, 01:08:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2017, 05:42:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2017, 05:28:23 PM
And here I thought tea was a beverage  :Embarrass:

Well it also is.

So if I ask for some tea will I be brought some chicken and a side salad? :hmm:

No, or at least only in so far as you currently ask for some dinner and someone brings you chicken and a side salad. I've never had that happen. :P

Here's a good summary. That map is with reference to tea as the evening meal but those first two are meals (food + tea as a drink).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

In Japanese gohan means both rice and a meal (morning gohan, noon gohan, evening gohan).
You know the Brits and tea....
██████
██████
██████