News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I'm sure that's the way you see all your posts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 05:29:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2017, 05:21:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 05:18:37 PM
QuoteTea/Dinner

Why would anyone call an evening meal "tea"?

Why do you call it the name you use?

Why do you call it the name I use?

No idea what you call it or why.

Habbaku

Now you see why I might question the use of "tea".
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Jesus wept.

Yi's Law: the longer one stays on Languish the closer the likelihood of becoming grumbler approaches 1.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 05:56:13 PM

Not really, it is a common term.  Which, if I was to speculate, why you use the term you use - whatever it might be.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on November 09, 2017, 05:27:06 PM
Heh, moin. I've never heard it, but funny how similar it is to 'moi' as they say up north here.
I was surprised how close the north German dialects are to Dutch. I remember reading a plaque in Wismar written in the local dialect and it could have passed for northern Dutch almost down to a word.

In Southern Jutland they use 'mojn', their dialect is supposedly very close to Frisian.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 09, 2017, 05:58:48 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 05:56:13 PM

Not really, it is a common term.  Which, if I was to speculate, why you use the term you use - whatever it might be.

I'm not sure what your second sentence is trying to communicate. But my whole point is that it isn't a common term, at least where I and Valmy are concerned. Which is why I questioned it.

You and Garbon then decided that, rather than answer the question, you'd just question why I'd ask it. I don't really understand why you'd think that productive.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Because, quite frankly, you were displaying Jos like behavior.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

By asking a single question in curiosity. It's a term I've never heard before in reference to eating a meal. OH MAN LET'S PANIC

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

"Bieber bets me 10 quatloos even Trump will not pull his password proposal.  Hey Beeb, fucking concede this bet already."

I don't even remember this bet, Yi. What's the deal?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:17:24 PM
"Bieber bets me 10 quatloos even Trump will not pull his password proposal.  Hey Beeb, fucking concede this bet already."

I don't even remember this bet, Yi. What's the deal?

Trump said anyone entering the US should have to surrender their electronic device passwords.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on November 09, 2017, 06:06:02 PM
By asking a single question in curiosity. It's a term I've never heard before in reference to eating a meal. OH MAN LET'S PANIC

I don't know why your ignorance is particularly noteworthy nor why you want to share it with the class.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

In the torrent of madness that comes out of Trump on a daily basis, that one slipped by me.

Seems like it's been months since he even mentioned it. Does quietly letting people forget it under a flood of other idiocies count as giving it up?

-J. R. R. Tolkien