And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2017, 09:03:16 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2017, 08:53:13 AM
Capitalism existed before Adam Smith wrote about it.

It did?
The invention of the capitalism and/or free market wasn't an e = mc^2 kind of thing.  They developed organically before people started working on explaining them.

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2017, 09:05:59 AM
The invention of the capitalism and/or free market wasn't an e = mc^2 kind of thing.  They developed organically before people started working on explaining them.

I'm pretty sure energy converting to matter and vice versa happened before Einstein described it.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Brain

Quote from: frunk on April 26, 2017, 09:08:36 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2017, 09:05:59 AM

I'm pretty sure energy converting to matter and vice versa happened before Einstein described it.

By pure luck?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I'd say capitalism was created when the first farmer laid aside seed grain for next year.

DGuller

Lately I've noticed that a lot of people who do sales of one kind or another now follow the tactic of asking you for your availability before making any attempt to ask you whether you're interested in meeting them.  "Hi, we're introducing a new line of dildos, and we are excited to demo them.  Are you free this Thursday at 2 pm?"

Does this tactic have a name?  And does it really work?  It strikes me as quite rude, and it never fails to instantly turn me off on the person, no matter how much I was inclined to engage with them previously.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 26, 2017, 05:14:06 PM
I'd say capitalism was created when the first farmer laid aside seed grain for next year.

Capitalism, invented by ants!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2017, 06:37:55 PM

He is right though. That is an investment of capital. Capitalism was never invented really. Adam Smith was just coming up with an explanation for what he was observing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2017, 08:56:53 AM
tyr has found his soulmate

And it's a dude. Tough luck, chap.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 26, 2017, 06:48:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2017, 06:37:55 PM

He is right though. That is an investment of capital. Capitalism was never invented really. Adam Smith was just coming up with an explanation for what he was observing.

My understanding was that Smith and other classical economists were in revolt against the economic doctrine of their day, Mercantilism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Wasn't it the Dutch in the 17th century who invented capitalism.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2017, 03:53:40 AM

The pilgrims lived in Leiden until the religious tolerance became too much to bear for them.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on April 27, 2017, 03:53:40 AM

Or the Italian merchant-bankers of the late Middle Ages/Early Renaissance.

grumbler

It isn't possible to say who "invented capitalism" without defining what you mean by "capitalism."  Our modern concept of capitalism (that capital should be privately, not publicly, owned; that economic decisions should be made based on self-interest; and that a free market should be used to acquire and sell goods and services) is probably a 17th century invention, as previous practitioners of protocapitalism like the Italian bankers (or roman businessmen, for that matter) certainly believed in government intervention in the market on their behalf.  They did have private ownership of capital and did believe in economic activity for personal gain, though, so people who don't think capitalism requires a free market could consider those guys capitalists and push back the development of capitalism to the beginning, as Yi argues.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!