News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 23, 2017, 09:46:13 PM
I am getting spammed hard about logistics jobs. Christ.

I AM ON BREAK

Those fuckers only come around when you don't need a job.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

I'd need to print out more certs. " arch magus six sigma lean super intercontinental champion gold belt"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Make your own.

"I have a Lean Sigma Shareholder Value Fuckover Belt with Yi Cumstains Device."
"Sure, but do you have your Anger Series Sevens?  No? Good day, sir."
"What is that?"
"I SAID GOOD DAY."

Ed Anger

Some fucking ex supply sergeant with his veteran points will get the job anyways.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2017, 09:59:09 PM
Make your own.

"What is that?"
"I SAID GOOD DAY."

:lmfao:  Made my day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Make your own.

"What is that?"
"I SAID GOOD DAY."

You got the Sizzlers' Management Degree?

Savonarola

We're still in the process of transitioning from GE's processes to Alstom's.  There's been some surprises along the way.  The time reporting at GE was done on a program called P6.  Alstom's equivalent is called ETemptation :perv:.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on April 23, 2017, 10:15:17 PM
Make your own.

"What is that?"
"I SAID GOOD DAY."

Katmai has the Sizzler eating degree.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on April 23, 2017, 10:15:17 PM

I once had a certificate from the Society of Automotive Engineers stating that I met the minimum training standards to "do stuff on cars" at Jiffy Lube.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2017, 01:44:09 PM
I am saddened beyond belief that we don't actually have a dedicated naked mole rat thread to put this in: :weep:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/04/naked-mole-rat-oxygen-take-my-breath-awaaaaaaaay/523515/

QuoteOxygen makes up around 20 percent of the air around you. If it fell to 5 percent, you'd pass out after 3 minutes or so. Then, your brain would start to die. To fuel itself, this gas-guzzling organ requires a constant supply of sugar and oxygen—even when you're not doing anything. Without the vital gas, ions flood across the barriers of neurons, causing internal havoc, and forcing them to self-destruct. "There's probably more than a hundred things that will kill brain cells if you turn off the oxygen," says Thomas Park, from the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Within minutes, you'd be dead. And hours after that, a naked mole-rat in the exact same conditions would be happily walking around—the picture of health. Imagine a disembodied index finger that's been soaking in the bath for too long, and has teeth at the end. That's a naked mole-rat. These weird rodents live in large underground colonies with nesting chambers the size of footballs. In these cramped subterranean quarters, oxygen levels often fall as low as 6 percent. And yet, these animals cope with this hypoxia.

Park knows this because he and his colleague Jane Reznick once put captive naked mole-rats into a chamber with just 5 percent oxygen—conditions that would kill mice in 15 minutes. "We were ready to pull them out at a moment's notice if they started to look bad. And they looked fine," Park says. "At five hours, we quit because I had to go home."

And the article goes on to discuss their overall very odd biology.

The most interesting thing about them is that they are extremely resistant to cancer.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

That can't be that unusual when you are a living blind tube eating dirt. IT's not like its a complicated organism, or in an environment heavy on external effects.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 25, 2017, 06:58:46 AM
That can't be that unusual when you are a living blind tube eating dirt. IT's not like its a complicated organism, or in an environment heavy on external effects.

This bullshit of the highest order. Even a bacterium is an incredibly complicated living machine, let a lone a mammal that lives in a hostile environment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

If CdM was a basketball star.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on April 24, 2017, 09:23:58 AM
We're still in the process of transitioning from GE's processes to Alstom's.  There's been some surprises along the way.  The time reporting at GE was done on a program called P6.  Alstom's equivalent is called ETemptation :perv:.

GE's corporate phone plan was broad.  They had deals with every major carrier in the United States and offered a large number of phones to choose from.  Alstom is a much smaller company and cannot do that.  This past week corporate's IT told us that the only phones that are allowed are Samsung.  I'm not sure, but I think Alstom just announced a reduction in force.  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 25, 2017, 07:52:11 AM
If CdM was a basketball star.

Those appetizers could pile up, man.  Shit was no joke.