News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Well we have only ever eaten at places run by Ethiopian immigrants here in Austin. They have integrated and adopted our quaint health inspection ways :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 09:35:03 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
I wasn't sure if you were setting that up intentionally.

Nah. My wife really likes Ethiopian food so it was just what popped into my head.

Powdered milk and UN rice.  Yum-may.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 09:22:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2017, 09:17:42 AM
Were you offering up an example of a scintillating post?

No. I was offering up an example as to why I disagreed with your assertion.

I'm not sure you can disagree (and be right) with it being possible. I don't think I made a statement about it being worthwhile. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2017, 09:43:05 AM

Nah. My wife really likes Ethiopian food so it was just what popped into my head.

My experience with ethiopian/ethiopia. I was in Addis Ababa, and went to a restaurant just off the main market. Flip flops were a bad choice of footwear, because it seemed like sewage was running through the market. Most disturbingly, I saw a fruit vendor washing off the fruit in the water running through there...

Anyway, I ate at the restaurant, and that evening got on an air ethiopia flight back to the US. I got epically bad diarrhea on the plane, and all the bathrooms broke on the plane except for two. The line to the bathrooms stayed consistently at about 30 minutes. So basically I'd just use the bathroom, and just get in line, because I knew by the time I got to the front it would be time to go again.

Marking that off the family vacation list now.  Thanks for the heads up.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Yeah, we all believe it was on the list before.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

East Africa is lovely in the Spring.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

God bless Alka-Seltzer Cold.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 01:26:25 PM
East Africa is lovely in the Spring.

I would totally go to Ethiopia if given the opportunity.

Of course, sadly, due to all the other places I'd also love to visit the odds of me going to Ethiopia on my own dime appear to be pretty small.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
I wasn't sure if you were setting that up intentionally.

Heh, my wife went with some colleagues to an Ethiopian restaurant, and swore never to go to another.  :D She complained that the food resembled dog food, served on a bread plate without cutlery. She was not happy ... and she's usually open to eating just about any sort of food from various culinary traditions. 

As a consequence, I have yet to try this type of food, because I usually eat out with my wife ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

It's no different than scooping up humus with pita.  :huh:

I love Ethiopian food.

Barrister

I went for Ethiopian food 25 years ago or so and my take at the time was similar to Mrs. Malthus - no utensils, no texture to the food, was kind of off-putting.

I would definitely try it again some time though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

In Europe you don't eat the utensils at restaurants.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2017, 04:49:58 PM

I love Ethiopian food.

I'd love to give it a try.

I'll have to wait for an occasion my wife isn't around for, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on April 27, 2017, 04:56:55 PM
I'd love to give it a try.

I'll have to wait for an occasion my wife isn't around for, though.

Try kitfo, spiced raw beef.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2017, 04:49:58 PM

I love Ethiopian food.

Well if pita was gross and you had to scrounge around a bit to pick up hummus rather than nice scoops and dabs.

I dislike Ethiopian food. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.