News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2017, 06:19:09 AM
It isn't possible to say who "invented capitalism" without defining what you mean by "capitalism." 

Actually, it is possible to say it without defining capitalism.:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

and push back the development of capitalism to the beginning, as Yi argues.

"Where Throg?"
"Throg eliminated to increase shareholder value.  Meet Grok, new contractor."

CountDeMoney

Ugh, today is going to be "Bring Your Child to Work Day" which, ironically enough, coincides with "CdM is Hiding in a Conference Room Somewhere Day."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2017, 06:23:47 AM
It isn't possible to say who "invented capitalism" without defining what you mean by "capitalism." 

:lol:  (Forgot that Asperger's sufferer's take everything literally.) 

Yes, it is literally possible.  Good catch.  Congratulations.  Feel proud of yourself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2017, 06:25:40 AM
and push back the development of capitalism to the beginning, as Yi argues.

"Where Throg?"
"Throg eliminated to increase shareholder value.  Meet Grok, new contractor."

When Cave Four offers rocks for less pebbles than Cave Three, you gotta buy from Cave Four.  Even if they are jerks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2017, 06:28:45 AM

:lol:  (Forgot that Asperger's sufferer's take everything literally.) 

Yes, it is literally possible.  Good catch.  Congratulations.  Feel proud of yourself.

Thanks!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I bet it is possible to talk about Ethiopian food without ever actually having eaten any as well. Just not particularly useful or interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 09:10:47 AM

I bet it is possible to talk about Ethiopian food without ever actually having eaten any as well. Just not particularly useful or interesting.

Were you offering up an example of a scintillating post?

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 27, 2017, 09:17:42 AM
Were you offering up an example of a scintillating post?

No. I was offering up an example as to why I disagreed with your assertion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

In the 80s, this actually happened during many food related conversations among Ethiopians.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2017, 09:26:12 AM

In the 80s, this actually happened during many food related conversations among Ethiopians.

Ok I walked into that one.

alfred russel

I wasn't sure if you were setting that up intentionally.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 27, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
I wasn't sure if you were setting that up intentionally.

Nah. My wife really likes Ethiopian food so it was just what popped into my head.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2017, 09:35:03 AM

Nah. My wife really likes Ethiopian food so it was just what popped into my head.

My experience with ethiopian/ethiopia. I was in Addis Ababa, and went to a restaurant just off the main market. Flip flops were a bad choice of footwear, because it seemed like sewage was running through the market. Most disturbingly, I saw a fruit vendor washing off the fruit in the water running through there...

Anyway, I ate at the restaurant, and that evening got on an air ethiopia flight back to the US. I got epically bad diarrhea on the plane, and all the bathrooms broke on the plane except for two. The line to the bathrooms stayed consistently at about 30 minutes. So basically I'd just use the bathroom, and just get in line, because I knew by the time I got to the front it would be time to go again.