And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

It's a frog stab frog world out there.

Sheilbh

Have a cold, which feels like the first proper cold I've had since before covid.

I am, of course, handling it with the quiet dignity and grace for which ill men are so renowned :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2023, 02:53:35 AMHave a cold, which feels like the first proper cold I've had since before covid.

I am, of course, handling it with the quiet dignity and grace for which ill men are so renowned :goodboy:

The worse you handle it the more testosterone you have. Congrats on your manliness :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2023, 04:02:13 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 13, 2023, 02:53:35 AMHave a cold, which feels like the first proper cold I've had since before covid.

The worse you handle it the more testosterone you have. Congrats on your manliness :P

As in you actually feel the cold more or you just get more pissed off about it?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on December 13, 2023, 04:07:26 AM

The higher your testosterone the worse your immune system is. Biology is funny.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2023, 04:08:59 AM

Do you have a cite? Everything I've seen says "can" or "may".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on December 13, 2023, 04:47:41 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 13, 2023, 04:08:59 AM

Do you have a cite? Everything I've seen says "can" or "may".

Something I read many moons ago and choose to believ because it made me feel better about my whiny ass :D

Still, "may" works for me. Delusion intact!

Josquius

The other day I saw someone calling someone else a 'centrist' as an insult.
This person really hated centrists. They had the idea they were worse than the right even as at least right wingers wanted change whilst centrists want everything to stay exactly as it is.
Quite a broken outlook which ignores groups like the Fabians, not to mention the idea that change is always a good thing.

Got me thinking though. Surely there are two axis in how right/left you are. Your long term ambition and what you see as the most sensible policy to follow for now.
Is there not a sort of 'cross of centrism'- though thinking further as I sketched it out it will by nature be quite a wonky cross with the world in general being a very right wing place so pushing this even further to the right breaking any idea of a centrist world as a perfect aim.
Sketching out within the red those people who are centrists.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

And yes yes. Right/left are gross over simplifications, most people have views all over the place, etc....
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Centrism's been a term of abuse for ages. Since at least Corbyn, especially for the Novara types - "centrist dad", Rest is Politics etc.

There's (as usual) half a point in the criticism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Are we looking at the transformation of Jos into a conservative in real time?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2023, 07:42:20 AMAre we looking at the transformation of Jos into a conservative in real time?

No? :unsure:
I've always been pretty pan-left, stop the squabbling, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 13, 2023, 07:42:20 AMAre we looking at the transformation of Jos into a conservative in real time?

Him and Sheilbh. It's the British way, I mean, there must be a reason why there is almost never a Labour government.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on December 13, 2023, 07:46:50 AM

Him and Sheilbh. It's the British way, I mean, there must be a reason why there is almost never a Labour government.

Sheilbh has always been a crypto conservative. Love of tradition in the first step down the road :D

PJL

Extremists hating moderates more than their polar opposites have been a thing for decades. Nothing new there.

Josquius

I seriously am curious at what says I'm becoming conservative there.

In other news. I've completed the annual Virgin Dance.
Is this just a UK thing?
You have to call your internet provider every year (in my case Virgin Media) to say you want to cancel so they continue to give you a decent deal rather than doubling your bills.
██████
██████
██████