News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2020, 11:10:39 AM
Even if somebody knew their heritage, being 1/4 black wouldn't make them black. That's getting to a stage where even mixed race is starting to get odd.

Psst. 32% is basically a third. How much blacker do you need to be to be black?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2020, 11:26:40 AM
Even if somebody knew their heritage, being 1/4 black wouldn't make them black. That's getting to a stage where even mixed race is starting to get odd.

Pretty specific breakdown of grandparents there to get that. The quarter is easy to get but how much of the remaining 7% do you expect to be known? And how?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2020, 11:30:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 04, 2020, 11:26:40 AM

Pretty specific breakdown of grandparents there to get that. The quarter is easy to get but how much of the remaining 7% do you expect to be known? And how?
If you want to say you doubt the veracity of his claim, just say that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2020, 11:26:02 AM
And according to 23 and me my DNA shows I'm 10% Finnish. I'm really not Finnish though.

I'm sure that's what you try to tell yourself, but when you wake up the middle of the night with a cold sweat and irresistible urges to consume roasted reindeer with rye bread and to sign a treaty with Germany, the truth cannot be denied any longer.

:lol:

Or that time Tyr just suddenly took up cross country skiing and sitting naked in saunas without really understanding why.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

QuoteIf you want to say you doubt the veracity of his claim, just say that.
No. I believe his claim. Perfectly feasible to have this DNA lying latent on both sides for many generations. But having 25% West African DNA isn't the same as being quarter black. Being quarter black would be having a black grand parent.

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2020, 11:44:00 AM
And according to 23 and me my DNA shows I'm 10% Finnish. I'm really not Finnish though.

I'm sure that's what you try to tell yourself, but when you wake up the middle of the night with a cold sweat and irresistible urges to consume roasted reindeer with rye bread and to sign a treaty with Germany, the truth cannot be denied any longer.

:lol:

Or that time Tyr just suddenly took up cross country skiing and sitting naked in saunas without really understanding why.

I do like saunas :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

$50 and shipping from the US is too much for a shower curtain, right? :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2020, 01:27:41 PM
$50 and shipping from the US is too much for a shower curtain, right? :ph34r:

Not for that shower curtain.

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2020, 12:05:00 PM
No. I believe his claim. Perfectly feasible to have this DNA lying latent on both sides for many generations. But having 25% West African DNA isn't the same as being quarter black. Being quarter black would be having a black grand parent.

This man was treated as a black person his entire life. His parents are white, but he wasn't treated as if he were. What more do you want?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on September 04, 2020, 02:40:23 PM
Not for that shower curtain.
I have received comments for my bear bed sheets. I fear the combination of those and the shower curtain could be too much.............
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2020, 03:40:58 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2020, 12:05:00 PM

This man was treated as a black person his entire life. His parents are white, but he wasn't treated as if he were. What more do you want?

Thats what I said?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

I'm still 1% Finnish, according to Ancestry. It just won't go away.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

New favorite word, ucalegon.

celedhring

When faced with the most terrible of choices, Spain would chose to give up ham in order to keep cheese  :sleep:

Funnily enough, the prime cheese producing areas are the ones more willing to give it up, I guess they are fed up with the stuff  :lol:

The Larch

Harder choice than Sophie's.