And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 05, 2020, 11:39:42 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2020, 11:35:59 AM
There's a rich relationship between ham and sexual innuendo in Spanish culture. I won't get into details except that for starters a hot woman is called a "jamona" (she-ham).  :lol:
Jamon Jamon springs to mind too :lol:

I was about to post a clip of that movie indeed  :lol:

It's probably the best representation/parody of the cliché of Spanish manliness ever put to film. And played by Bardem nonetheless.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2020, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2020, 11:39:27 AM
There's a rich relationship between ham and sexual innuendo in Spanish culture. I won't get into details except that for starters a hot woman is called a "jamona" (she-ham).  :lol:

Does this speak more of the Spanish love of ham, or of Spanish men's taste in women?  :hmm:

Indeed, it's supposed to mean that the woman's legs are as yummy as a leg of ibérico ham.

Definitely does not translate well. Even replacing that with "her legs are as yummy as bacon" doesn't really work.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Another highlight of the movie was Javier Bardem's character comparing rhe taste of Penélope Cruz 's character 's breasts to tortilla de patatas.  :lmfao:

Bigas Luna really had a thing for comparing sex with food.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2020, 11:50:00 AM

It's probably the best representation/parody of the cliché of Spanish manliness ever put to film. And played by Bardem nonetheless.

I'm now remembering Bardem's and Mollá's duel to the death with hams instead of clubs. Goya would be proud.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2020, 11:33:08 AM
Are we talking prosciutto, or brine cured ham here?

É presunto, palhaço!  :ultra:  :D

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 05, 2020, 10:37:08 AM
Canadians ... can't even sign on the correct line of important documents.  :rolleyes:

Canada is right. The others fail.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

In my mind's eye I am seeing the Japanese representatives as they realize that Supreme Allied Commander Tyr has just surrendered to them by accident.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

I was to appear in that movie as an extra, but got an exam scheduled that day. Cinema lost its chance and is all the poorer for it, clearly.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Iormlund on September 05, 2020, 02:53:33 PM

I was to appear in that movie as an extra, but got an exam scheduled that day. Cinema lost its chance and is all the poorer for it, clearly.

Did you get another chance for La Teta y la luna or Bambola ?  :D

Josquius

It seems I have officially crossed the line into being old.
Targeted advertising when looking at dodgy streaming sites is no longer about hot milfs in my area desperate for young guys.
Rather it's about hot young girls looking for older men.
:cry:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on September 05, 2020, 02:53:33 PM

I bet the exam was more exciting than being an extra. Extras are usually treated like cattle  :D

One of my first jobs in a film shoot was being 3rd Auxiliary Director, but nobody called me that, I was "el pastor de los extras". My job was essentially keeping them together in one place and avoid anyone moving or going astray, like a shepherd dog  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 05, 2020, 11:55:23 AM

But then the white people wouldn't understand :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2020, 04:37:09 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 05, 2020, 11:55:23 AM

But then the white people wouldn't understand :D

Wrong and irrelevant, crypto-moor!   :D

HVC

I'm only moorish on my dads side, my moms side is Jewish!  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança