Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2019, 04:52:18 AM
China is the Saudi Arabia of data.

This sentence is meaningless.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Oh for crying out loud.

My car's rear bumper needs repainting after I got hit , and it'll take 3 days. I'll end up having to drive some shitty stick-shift replacement car for most of next week.I havent driven a manual car in England yet. Gonna' be fun as my reflexes are to reach to the right.

The Larch

Don't repaint yet it if it's such a pain.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2019, 06:21:16 AM

Well the other car's insurer is going to pay for it, and it is quite expensive (I guess it'd be cheaper if no insurance was involved, but still), so I feel I should have it done.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2019, 06:24:55 AM

Well the other car's insurer is going to pay for it, and it is quite expensive (I guess it'd be cheaper if no insurance was involved, but still), so I feel I should have it done.

Oh, sure then, if the other insurer pays for it then go nuts on it, even more if it's an expensive thing. Can't you arrange it to work from home while you get the car done up?

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2019, 06:26:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2019, 06:24:55 AM

Oh, sure then, if the other insurer pays for it then go nuts on it, even more if it's an expensive thing. Can't you arrange it to work from home while you get the car done up?

My bosses can be reasonable with home office when it is needed but in general it is not encouraged. So I don't want to force the issue.

Should be ok. If they want to give me some really shitty rolling coffin I'll just say no and cash out for the train.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2019, 06:06:04 AM
Oh for crying out loud.

My car's rear bumper needs repainting after I got hit , and it'll take 3 days. I'll end up having to drive some shitty stick-shift replacement car for most of next week.I havent driven a manual car in England yet. Gonna' be fun as my reflexes are to reach to the right.

Is the clutch pedal still on the left and gas pedal on the right?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2019, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 12, 2019, 06:06:04 AM
Oh for crying out loud.

Is the clutch pedal still on the left and gas pedal on the right?

yes :P

derspiess

At least there's that.  But yeah, my right arm would be bumping into the door every time I needed to shift.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

I use modern technology--like automatic transmission--to avoid such crude ways.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on February 12, 2019, 10:00:32 AM

Can't impress the chicks with a swift gear change.   :P

Or for that matter sending the car into overdrive.  :punk:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

:rolleyes: my whole annoyance comes from the fact that my car is automatic. But I very much doubt this small local garage will have one. They have been frowned upon in Europe as unmanly.

The Larch

I just bit what I guess was a pice of soap thinking it was candy. :x  :yucky:

derspiess

Yeah, well if you're fine with THE MAN deciding on when your gears shift, that's your loss.  I'll enjoy my freedom, man... :P

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien