News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I didn't know Northeast China could get that cold.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2019, 11:15:56 AM
I didn't know Northeast China could get that cold.

Northern Asia is pretty brutally cold. Just ask the Russians and Koreans.

The Chinese are not really big on being understated are they? Quite amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

The Chinese are really good a creating temporary fake structures/stuff. This is pretty much the master level of it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on February 05, 2019, 07:18:51 AM
I have some friends on a keto diet who drink butter coffee. It's revolting.

On that subject I just came across:

The Bulletproof Coffee Founder Has Spent $1 Million in His Quest to Live to 180

and once again I found myself perplexed.  I had heard of microdosing and Keto before; but nootropics, extensive stem cell treatment, swole and ayahuasca ceremonies were new ones on me.  It does read like background information to a cyberpunk novel. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Never heard of him before.  Seems kinda creepy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on February 08, 2019, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Maladict on February 05, 2019, 07:18:51 AM
I have some friends on a keto diet who drink butter coffee. It's revolting.

On that subject I just came across:

The Bulletproof Coffee Founder Has Spent $1 Million in His Quest to Live to 180

and once again I found myself perplexed.  I had heard of microdosing and Keto before; but nootropics, extensive stem cell treatment, swole and ayahuasca ceremonies were new ones on me.  It does read like background information to a cyberpunk novel.

Yeah that's the stuff, bulletproof coffee.

And for a guy who wants to get to 180, he looks pretty old for 45.

PDH

Most days I just want to live to tomorrow
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

At least you don't want to die. :cheers:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: PDH on February 08, 2019, 08:02:45 PM
Most days I just want to live to tomorrow

(For) A Better Tomorrow?

mongers

On average the closest planet to Earth is ....

Mercury.    :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on February 09, 2019, 09:03:54 PM
On average the closest planet to Earth is ....

Mercury.    :hmm:

That doesn't sound right. Surely there's some little technicality there like within the past 5 years or something?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Well Mercury can only be about 130m miles from the Earth at max, whereas Venus can be 160m or so; so it is certainly feasible ...... I'm not going to do the maths though  :P

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 10, 2019, 06:46:37 AM
Well Mercury can only be about 130m miles from the Earth at max, whereas Venus can be 160m or so; so it is certainly feasible ...... I'm not going to do the maths though  :P

I was surprised, someone for R4's 'More or Less' programme did the calculations for the nearest planet each day over the last 50 years, turns out,

Closet planet to Earth:

Mercury 46% of the time
Venus 36% of the time
Mars 18%  of the time
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Threviel

Wouldn't the calculations need to be done from startpoint to startpoint with regards to the positions of the planets. Say, from the point where they are lined up until they are lined up again?

Brainy, this is your physics shit, calculate it and explain it for us!

Richard Hakluyt

Some more opinions about the matter :

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-nearest-planet-to-Earth-1

There is a nice graph part way down; presenting the data graphically is probably the easiest way to get a rough answer for the question.