News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

My car is actually DSG, so I can shift manually if I really want to.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

But how often do you? The Man has you right where he wants you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Gad, talking about stick versus automatic is going to seem positively archaic soon - when robots are driving the damn car.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fromtia

I didn't own a car when I lived in the UK and didn't really start driving a lot until I moved to FL 16 years ago. Because most of my driving experience has been here, where I am given 5 pedestrian maiming lanes of bullet straight asphalt to go and buy a cup of coffee I tend to find driving my fathers car on trips to the UK thoroughly alarming.

I always drove a stick here in the US for whatever reason, so it's not the stick part that's the issue but the road design and the other drivers that cause the alarm. Controls on the other side of the car takes a minute to adjust to obviously, but the medieval lanes and "parking lots" the size of cereal boxes are hard.

I did recently teach son of fromtia to drive, stick, in the old ranger and he did superbly well at it. Has his license now and everything. 
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
I just bit what I guess was a pice of soap thinking it was candy. :x  :yucky:

This is why we have Tide pod jokes.  :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on February 12, 2019, 11:56:49 AM
Gad, talking about stick versus automatic is going to seem positively archaic soon - when robots are driving the damn car.  :lol:

The sooner the better!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2019, 11:12:19 AM
But how often do you? The Man has you right where he wants you.

:D I've done it a dozen times or so, at most. The car's relatively new, and I don't need to zoom-zoom much.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 12, 2019, 12:32:18 PM

This is why we have Tide pod jokes.  :P

Soap shouldn't look cute and tasty with bright gummy-like colours.  :glare:

Duque de Bragança

Not as fun as mistaking vinho verde with aguardente:P

celedhring

Went to a mall near work to buy some stuff and found an expo of toothpick-built ship models. They were actually quite impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wWm_DGdOs

Barrister

Saskatchewan man David Assman (pronounced Ossmen) has his request for a custom license plate with his last name on it rejected by SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance... eh it's a long story).  So he gets a custom decal for the back of his truck made up to look like a SK license plate that reads ASSMAN.

This is the second Assman to gain some level of "viral" notoriety.  Regina man Dick Assman (no idea if he's a relative, but common he's gotta be) shot to fame in 1995 when David Letterman saw Dick's name in a newspaper, started making fun of it, which led to a running bit, which finally led to Dick coming on the Letterman show.  And for years later, beside the gas station where Dick worked in Regina (and right on Highway #1) there was this sign:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

And then of course there's the Seinfeld episode :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2019, 03:40:34 PM(no idea if he's a relative, but common he's gotta be)

They are cousins, according to an article I have read. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

So everyone ready for theApril 6th GPS Rollover event?   :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Who names there kid dick when their last name is assman
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.