And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2019, 12:23:55 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 05, 2019, 07:19:53 AM
I'm writing a dialogue for a script, and I'm struggling a bit with the whole "it" being used for pets. I know that people use "he" or "she" for pets they have a close relationship with (name, etc...) But I have this crazy cat lady character and I wonder if she would use "she" or "he" when talking about the cats in the neighborhood to other people? What feels more natural?

You know what, it's not "official" but cats are often assumed to be female for some reason, and dogs to be male.  My wife will still sometimes call my male cat "she" or "her" from time to time.

I think that is right.  When I talk to people while walking our female dog they always refer to the dog as he. 

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2019, 01:41:51 PM
I'm writing a dialogue for a script, and I'm struggling a bit with the whole "it" being used for pets. I know that people use "he" or "she" for pets they have a close relationship with (name, etc...) But I have this crazy cat lady character and I wonder if she would use "she" or "he" when talking about the cats in the neighborhood to other people? What feels more natural?

You know what, it's not "official" but cats are often assumed to be female for some reason, and dogs to be male.  My wife will still sometimes call my male cat "she" or "her" from time to time.

I think that is right.  When I talk to people while walking our female dog they always refer to the dog as he. 

Yep, I concur.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I intentionally refer to dogs I don't like or aren't that familiar with as "it". 
So that might be something your cat lady gets upset about, people not being willing to go along with here anthropomorphism etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2019, 01:41:51 PM

I hope you correct them <_<

Though yes. True.
My teacher GF recently sent me some messages recieved from a parent about a dog actually eating a kids homework. I couldn't but say of the 4 dogs in the picture, the black one was lovely but he looked guilty as fuck
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

My grandma keeps referring to my female cats as "he".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Last night I had a dream involving riding a three wheel bike, don't ever recall dreaming about that before.  :hmm:

On my way home this evening I popped into the local bike shop, as I walked into the shop, by the door was an adult's tricycle, he'd just bought it at auction.   :huh: :wacko:

Probably not one in 500 adults bikes is a tricycle, typically those are custom built to order.

Eddie Teach

You ordered the trike in your sleep.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2019, 03:26:38 PM

Why even raise them at all then? Just leave them by the side of the road and go home and pray. Jesus will protect them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

An unfolding tragedy here in Southern England today, the huge automated Ocado warehouse in Hampshire burnt down overnight.

So 10,000s of upper-middle class people are now bereft of their on-line shopping.  :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-47151773

Richard Hakluyt

They will have to go to Lidl  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on February 05, 2019, 07:38:17 AM

Crazy cat lady? Up the crazy. Make sure her cats all have ridiculous names, and that she insists to always refer to them with full names, no pronouns. Problem solved. :P

See T.S. Eliot for ridiculous cat names.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2019, 05:39:39 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 07, 2019, 02:56:14 AM
They will have to go to Lidl  :P

Lidl has very nice stuff :P

Lidl doesn't do deliveries, part of it is they want the Ocado van delivery to be seen by neighbours.  :bowler:

Apparently the company share price dropped 6% as a result.

Tamas