Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Sorry to hear about the missing letter.

My recommendation for that kind of stuff in the future:

1) Scan it.

2) Send it via registered mail of some kind and/or to a work address where there's someone to receive it during the day.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2015, 12:23:52 PM
To that end I have set a trap. I have placed a used cardboard box, disguised and weighted to appear like a package, in my post box. I wonder how long before it dissapears.
Inside I have of course wrote a letter to inform the thief he is under observation.

Heavy duty.

Try looking around in the general vicinity:  your mileage may vary, but in my experience people who swipe parcels don't wander too far with them.  Look for the box with the letter in nearby alleys or bins.

Josquius

The trouble with that is I've no way of knowing which day it arrived (if it has) and this is the city centre so cleaners come through pretty much every day.
I just hope the thief has thrown the letter way, it potentially had bank information on it
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on January 21, 2015, 01:20:19 PM
The trouble with that is I've no way of knowing which day it arrived (if it has) and this is the city centre so cleaners come through pretty much every day.
I just hope the thief has thrown the letter way, it potentially had bank information on it

On second thought...immigrants with bank information?  I'd call the bank and start changing up some account information, man.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Fucking postal service.

I'm at home today. Their package delivery guy delivered my new winter jacket, no problem.

I'm also waiting for another delivery - a much smaller package that I expected to fit into the mailbox. Instead I find a note from my mailman from half an hour ago. "Sorry, but you weren't home. Please pick up your package at your post office tomorrow (= Monday, as my post office is closed on Saturdays).

Lazy son of a whore.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

And of course: not open after six PM.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 23, 2015, 05:07:54 AM
And of course: not open after six PM.   :P

Well, of course not. :P

Fortunately, the office is so close I can easily get there before work on Monday.

I don't miss much about living in 10th district, but I do miss my post office - open till 7pm, and Saturday mornings.

Unfortunately, we don't have one of them fancy package boxes in our building yet (mailman puts delivery in the box and puts the key in your mailbox). And I'm too lazy to sign up for the service where you can pick up your deliveries 24/7 from "vending machines" at certain post offices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

So I'm moving from mostly Mexican Reno to mostly white hipster Seattle?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Prepare for the culture shock. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

The Louisville stats surprise me a little bit.  I thought we had more Hispanics than that, and (believe it or not) less Asians.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Some people.
I was speaking to an 18 year old girl (I'm friends with a 22 year old who is in turn friends with this kid).
Her: "Can you speak a foreign language?" (I could just sense the smug 'stupid Englishman coming here without speaking French!' aura)
Me: "I know Japanese"
Her: "But you don't know a real language right? Like Spanish or German or something like that?"
:bleeding:
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Syt

Qwertee had a design I couldn't resist the other day:

:nerd:  :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould