News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grinning_Colossus

Hollande has much, much better taste in paramours than our own politicians do.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on January 17, 2014, 12:03:41 PM
Quote(Newser) – Kabul's District 1 has a new police chief—and the Taliban has a new target. Col. Jamila Bayaz has become the first Afghan policewoman to run an entire district, and she says she is ready to face the challenge despite the threat from militants, the AP reports. "I work day and night," says the 50-year-old, a mother of five who joined the police force more than 30 years ago. "I am ready to serve, I am not scared nor am I afraid."

Afghan policewoman are often targeted by the Taliban, whose brutal 5-year rule forced Bayaz to stay home instead of doing her job. "I was a housewife taking care of my family," she says. "Women are part of society and since they left, more and more are getting involved and they need to join the police." She hopes her high-profile job will encourage more women to join the police force, which now has 1,551 policewomen out of 53,400 personnel, up from just 180 in 2005.

So in Afghanistan, you can get hired with a five year resume gap?  Who won this war?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

You're enabling again.  She weighs like 110.  She looks great.

God, it's me, Hunter.  I'm not asking for a pretty girl.  I just want a thin one.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

She looks like a drug addict. I'd rather take the Brit MP. And by take I mean "take".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

She has lovely smiling eyes.

CountDeMoney

With eyebrows like Brezhnev.

Ideologue

No doubt the bitch's elbows must be sharp enough to chop celery.  Jesus wept.  At all of you.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on January 17, 2014, 12:03:41 PM
Quote(Newser) – Kabul's District 1 has a new police chief—and the Taliban has a new target. Col. Jamila Bayaz has become the first Afghan policewoman to run an entire district, and she says she is ready to face the challenge despite the threat from militants, the AP reports. "I work day and night," says the 50-year-old, a mother of five who joined the police force more than 30 years ago. "I am ready to serve, I am not scared nor am I afraid."

Afghan policewoman are often targeted by the Taliban, whose brutal 5-year rule forced Bayaz to stay home instead of doing her job. "I was a housewife taking care of my family," she says. "Women are part of society and since they left, more and more are getting involved and they need to join the police." She hopes her high-profile job will encourage more women to join the police force, which now has 1,551 policewomen out of 53,400 personnel, up from just 180 in 2005.

That's a lot of very brave women
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Or desperate. Jobs aren't in very good supply over there
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I love how replies to that article highlight why Languish is dying.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21594257-our-wildest-fantasy-if-only-french-ran-america-la-maison-blanche
QuoteLa Maison Blanche

THE citizens of the world's most powerful country have recently been distracted by a piece of meaningless tittle-tattle. The current issue of People magazine has revealed what le tout Washington knew anyway: that Barack Obama has been having an affair with Jennifer Aniston. This intrusion took place despite the president's creditable attempts at discretion: putting aside the normal trappings of office, he travelled to Ms Aniston's flat in the evening and left in the morning (after bagels had been brought by the Secret Service) on a scooter, wearing a helmet with the visor down to conceal his face.

This reprehensible scandalmongering has focused attention on Mr Obama's private life—which, as befits a man of stature, has been active and varied. His long-term partner was Hillary Clinton, whom he never married but with whom he has four children. Their political rivalry, alas, damaged their personal relationship, and he took up with Katie Couric, whom he installed as First Girlfriend in the White House. She has now been admitted to hospital—upset, as any journalist would be, at the publicity surrounding her beau's latest amour.

It is now sadly unclear whether Ms Couric will be at Mr Obama's side during his forthcoming visit to France, whose inhabitants, driven by puritanism or impertinence, may ask unreasonable questions. Outside America there is a regrettable degree of public prurience. Fortunately, Americans are more sophisticated than foreigners: 77% of them believe that the president's private life is his own business. When, at a press conference, a reporter from Fox News asked whether Ms Couric was still First Girlfriend, and Mr Obama said briskly that the matter was private, journalists moved swiftly on to the more pertinent question of the medium-term fiscal deficit.

While amorous adventures are not a problem in Washington, they should not be flaunted. The publicity surrounding George W. Bush's divorce from his wife Laura and ostentatious marriage to Beyoncé, a singer, was not just arriviste but also unpopular. Far better was the stealthy approach of the previous president, known as "trois minutes, douche comprise"—three minutes, including the shower—who was driven quietly to his mistresses' houses by the official chauffeur, or that of his predecessor, whose illegitimate daughter lived at the taxpayers' expense. The White House press pack politely kept his secret for 13 years, revealing it only the year before he left office.

But seriously...
Would America be a better place if its public figures behaved like François Hollande, Ségolène Royal, Valérie Trierweiler, Nicolas Sarkozy, Jacques Chirac and François Mitterrand, and if its people took as relaxed a view of sex as the French do? Probably more talented Americans would go into politics if they did not think they would be roasted alive for normal human frailty. There would be more Jack Kennedys and fewer Mitt Romneys. On the other hand, if France's politicians were not protected by the law and a quiescent press, perhaps the National Front's anti-elitist message would not go down so well. The answer, of course, is to follow the example of Britain, whose near-saintly politicians are gracefully monitored by the famously dignified denizens of Fleet Street.