Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Old times is best times.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Stuff that sucks #2523679: The thousand and one articles on the internet with titles like "10 things that are awesome about Japan" that were written by people who have clearly never been outside of Tokyo's special wards and gush about Japan's supposed public transport prowess.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote(Newser) – Kabul's District 1 has a new police chief—and the Taliban has a new target. Col. Jamila Bayaz has become the first Afghan policewoman to run an entire district, and she says she is ready to face the challenge despite the threat from militants, the AP reports. "I work day and night," says the 50-year-old, a mother of five who joined the police force more than 30 years ago. "I am ready to serve, I am not scared nor am I afraid."

Afghan policewoman are often targeted by the Taliban, whose brutal 5-year rule forced Bayaz to stay home instead of doing her job. "I was a housewife taking care of my family," she says. "Women are part of society and since they left, more and more are getting involved and they need to join the police." She hopes her high-profile job will encourage more women to join the police force, which now has 1,551 policewomen out of 53,400 personnel, up from just 180 in 2005.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on January 17, 2014, 12:03:41 PM
Quote(Newser) – Kabul's District 1 has a new police chief—and the Taliban has a new target. Col. Jamila Bayaz has become the first Afghan policewoman to run an entire district, and she says she is ready to face the challenge despite the threat from militants, the AP reports. "I work day and night," says the 50-year-old, a mother of five who joined the police force more than 30 years ago. "I am ready to serve, I am not scared nor am I afraid."

Afghan policewoman are often targeted by the Taliban, whose brutal 5-year rule forced Bayaz to stay home instead of doing her job. "I was a housewife taking care of my family," she says. "Women are part of society and since they left, more and more are getting involved and they need to join the police." She hopes her high-profile job will encourage more women to join the police force, which now has 1,551 policewomen out of 53,400 personnel, up from just 180 in 2005.

Wow. God love her and keep her safe.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

If God loved her he wouldn't put her in that position.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Countries by historical contribution to global warming.

FU world!  :whistle:

derspiess

Green jobs would fix all that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I'm not sure that historical contribution is all that useful a measure - surely future contribution is more important, since we can't take CO2 out of the atmosphere once it's put there...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Actually there are a variety of carbon sequester techniques.

I think the historical contribution has value because of the principle that those who made the mess, as well as those who continue to make the mess, should clean it up.

The Brain

Retroactively? Can, meet worms.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on January 17, 2014, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 13, 2014, 10:22:01 PM
Tim is not invited to NipponFuckFest '14.
Neither are you.

Somebody is off my Christmas card list.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive